Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gen 3 Surf Cutting out

Hi All,

I have a Gen 3, intercooled, 1KT-ZE Surf.

Its been cutting out, not by spluttering to a half, but very clinically, as if the ignition key was turned off.

It would do this after around 10-15 mins of running. It will restart instantly, and run fine for 2-3 mins, then cut again. Next restart, run for about 20-30 seconds, and cut once more. After this it generally doesn't restart, or even catch. Go to it next day, and it will start without hesitation.

Fuel filter changed, and did some checks on the spill control valve too (applied 12v to it and cycled it).

Took the ECU out, found a leaking capacitor, and had the ECU rebuild by Tamar Electronics, with a request to change out all capacitors of that type (may as well before any more leak out). It had damaged the 5V circuit, but once repaired, has been tested. ECU has been returned and refitted,

Issue is still there.

Idling on our driveway, it doesn't seem to repeat the issue, or its not been idling long enough to get a comparable situation (I'll try and run it for a longer idling period tonight).

We tried to get an OBD read off it, but it wouldn't talk to either reader we had. No fault lights on the dash.

My Dad suspected immobiliser, however, when the immobiliser is engaged, all of the dash warning lights would stay off, in this case, the engine stops and the lights all come on as if in the 'run' position but no engine running.

We have some suspicion a sensor is breaking down with temperature, but no idea which.

Are there any sensors on the Surf which would if giving a high, or off scale value/signal, make the ECU immediately stop the engine?

Thanks
    Paul.

Immobilisers that I've fitted in the past have always cut into two different circuits, eg starter and fuel solenoid. If yours is similar, then you might have a problem with just one of the interrupted circuits, explaining why the dash lights are still working when it cuts out.
    https://galooph.com

Comment

A long shot but replace the small o-ring on the drain tap on bottom of fuel filter.

Comment

Working...
      X