Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cut out whilst driving

Hey Guys,

have ghosted the forum to try and find as much info as i could, have found some threads with similar symptoms and have carried out checks but its time to ask the forum. so first post!
    have a 1993 Toyota Surf ssrx kzn130 with the 1kzte auto transmission.

I was driving home and was cruising the truck up hill, - (wasn't giving it beans) and the engine just died. no splutter just as if i turned off the truck. the fuel light was on and assumed maybe i had run out of fuel
    i selected neutral and tried to start the truck and had a flat battery symptom - engine struggling to turn over. - a strange fault for a potential Out Of Fuel fault.

i managed to coast it pretty much all the way home - thank god for decent wheel bearings and no traffic.

i tried turning the engine over again, with the bonnet open and the engine gave the same symptom with the engine locking up. - could see the aux belts rocking as the engine tried to turn over.

list of things i have done since this happened.

Refueled
    replaced Fuel Filter.
    Blocked off and removed EGR- egr was loose at the threaded part.
    Charged Batteries,
    cleaned battery terminals,
    replaced all battery connections
    replaced both negative pole earth cables - from batt neg to engine block.
    checked ecu, looks to have been repaired previously, - any help to tell me what to look for or how to check capacitors would be great.

when i start the truck now takes a while to start ,then will run for about 15-20 seconds and cut out - dead stop sometimes giving the slow turn over when restarting.

i have loosened the alternator belts in case the alternator was seizing, but im starting to loose my patience ahha.

one other thing, found the earth from under the inlet on the back of the engine, have this connected to the inlet manifold - assumed it would go onto the engine as its part of the loom.

any help greatly appreciated, me and the GF love the truck. but currently having to drive around in a combo van :/

Crank the engine by hand and see if everything is normal. Other things to check would be the timing and fuel pump timing mark. Check the fuel solinoid is getting 12v during startup and running. Check there is fuel getting to each injector pipe. Don't know much about the ECU's, but that could be the problem.

Comment

I had a random cut out similar to yours with my 3rd Gen, which was caused by the ECU, 3 capacitors were bulging and slightly leaking onto the board. Never happened again once they were changed.

I wold suggest sending the ECU to the ECU doctor for a test/check.

Cheers

Comment

ok, i checked the resistance over the spill valve today, read 1.7 ohms, is this within spec?

also managed to get a fault code for the first time since the fault occured.
        im getting fault code 13, which i believe relates to the diesel position sensor or the wiring for said sensor.

removed the feed pipe to the IP and pressed primer pump - get a decent flow of fuel each pump.

when reconnected i pumped the primer hard and it started to leak around the top of the primer (above the filter)

i removed the feed pipe and blew it back , could hear bubbling whilst blowing, but as soon as i stopped blowing fuel started rushing back to open end of the hose - could this be a blocked fuel tank breather?

im going to double check the timing again tomorrow to make sure everything lines up.

Comment

Originally posted by tashtego View Post
          I had a random cut out similar to yours with my 3rd Gen, which was caused by the ECU, 3 capacitors were bulging and slightly leaking onto the board. Never happened again once they were changed.

I wold suggest sending the ECU to the ECU doctor for a test/check.

Cheers
          yea i think im going to send the ecu away to get double checked. it has had repair work previously, as can see repair work to PCB tracks etc - cant see any bulging caps tho.

Comment

ok so i pulled the engine apart, found cyl 1 and 4 at different heights, stripped bottom end and found cyl1 big end completely gone,, so either need to source a short block or ill strip for parts.

Comment

Just reading through these posts as my Surf did exactly the same thing - just stopped, no warning. After many trials, the ECU was pulled out and sent to Tamar Electronics in Devon. They said it was faulty and have repaired it. Anyway, once it's reinstalled we will see what happens.
              Meantime - anyone know where to find information on the start sequence - the relays? which one goes first, and which follow and in what order?

Comment

Working...
              X