O/D Light flashing gearbox seems stuck in top gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O/D Light flashing gearbox seems stuck in top gear

Need some help please, I have a 1996 3.0L Diesel Surf which has developed a transmission fault. When you pull away the motor seems to labour to pick up speed and this I believe because it is in top gear, If I put my foot down it will not kick down, once I am up to speed and compare the revs to the speed it is slightly over revving. If you push the O/D button there is not effect. After a few miles the O/D light then flashes slowly. I read somewhere that if you disconnect all the batteries this will reset the electrics. i did this and the car went back to normal for a short time and then the issue came back. there are no noises from the gearbox and oil is fine. Any advise will be most welcomed.

The problem is with one of the solenoids in the Autobox. To find out which solenoid it is, you need to pull the OD codes.

Paste this in the search button at the top of the page:

3rd Gen Auto #1 Solenoid replacement

It will take you my previous thread on how to pull the OD codes and find out which solenoid needs replacing.

If it is a 3rd Gen 1996 it's most likely solenoid #1, as I had the very same symptoms, no first gear and OD light flashing.

Part number is 85420-30200. In US you can buy these aftermarket. In UK you will probably have to order it from Toyota.

The mechanic will have to drain out all the oil (around 4,5l) remove the autobox sump, replace the solenoid and then reseal the sump with multipurpose gasket sealant and refill with fresh autobox oil.

Cheers
    Last edited by tashtego; 15 February 2019, 15:54.

Comment

Thanks for the great reply and information, I will have the codes read and let you know if it is the same fault. thanks once again.

Cheers

Comment

I got all 3 solenoids from us delivered on ebay £67

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Tortoise View Post
          Thanks for the great reply and information, I will have the codes read and let you know if it is the same fault. thanks once again.

Cheers
          What was the issue and/or fix? I have a Gen 2 with the same symptoms except my O/D does make a difference.

Comment

Working...
          X