Gen 3 steering rack mounting.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gen 3 steering rack mounting.

any advice/ thoughts on the following would be much appreciated.
    I am Replacing the steering rack bushes on my 96 gen 3 and removing the mounting U bracket on the passenger side (the one that clamps the huge bush around the body of the rack) I find that the bracket upper bolt is a close interference fit - fine, BUT the lower hole is much bigger than the diameter of the bolt which is a at least a couple of mm smaller than the hole through the bracket. Is this right ? I would have thought that the bottom bolt should be an interference fit like the top bolt so why is it much smaller than the hole. The bolts are the correct ones.
    cheers nick
    Last edited by nick.jsg; 19 December 2018, 20:25.

I did mine a few months ago
    All bolts fitted fine

Are they the same bolts you took out?
    Only problem I had was the vertical bolt.
    It was a very tight fit getting it out and back in

This is the kit I used

https://www.roughtrax4x4.com/nolatha...-bush-kit.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Last edited by redmonster; 24 December 2018, 17:11.

Comment

Last edited by redmonster; 24 December 2018, 17:12.

Comment

Last edited by redmonster; 24 December 2018, 17:10.

Comment

Yep, the bolts are definitely the correct ones, both the bolts for that bracket are the same size ( as you know, the top one is actually a stud) but the bracket bottom hole is bored bigger so the lower bolt is quite a sloppy fit.
            Interestingly, since the making the OP I found an hour long YouTube video of steering rack replacement “how to” by a guy in the states on a gen 3, and,
            Pausing the video and Blowing up the pic it seems to look like the bracket MIGHT have the same oversize hole as on mine. Just driving me crazy trying to figure out why this might be, because it will obvious allow sideways movement of the bracket.
            Thanks for replying.
            The vertical bolt came out easily on mine but the single 22m through bolt was tight (about 150lbs ft I think) so needed to use a 3/4 drive on it.

Comment

This is the one I followed

https://youtu.be/iQ7i7QVx-lA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X