Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intermittent starting/ running fault

First post for me I have a 1996 3.0 diesel surf 3rd gen
    a couple of years ago i replaced a corroded fuel pipe, i cut out the section about 2 cms and put in rubber hose with jubilee clips.
    sincethen it will ocassionally stop allways within a couple of minutes of starting, it restarts immediately and runs

Welcome

You could be right and it's worth checking that connection to make sure it is tight and not sucking in air.
    Once you have excluded that, you could send the ECU to be inspected . My intermittent stalling (1996 surf)) wase to a couple of leaky capacitors in the ECU. I guess the lifespan of those ECU

Comment

Thanks i havent been using it much in the last two years so it didnt bother me much and just accepted it. When i first realised there may be a link with the replaced pipe and it suddenly stopping i adjusted the pipe position and the problem got worst 80 % stall in first 5 mins. I readjusted it and stalling

Comment

So i have replaced the old metal pipe and piece of hose that was bridging the cut out section, with plastic pipe and new hose. All jubilee clips tightened up.
        result worse than before it now cuts out every time at approx 3 minutes from starting. Thereafter it runs normally smooth good acceleration, no smoke

Comment

you need to confirm you have fuel, it doesnt sound like it, especially if you playing with it makes it worse. does it run longer if you keep pressing the plunger on top of the fuel filter, forcing fuel through?

Comment

So yesterday morning i totally removed both metal fuel pipes one from tank to filter the other return from deisel pump to tank. I temporarily put nylon/plastic tubing in place so i could run, initally thought i had solved it started and ran fine numerous times during the day (on the drive)
            today back to

Comment

have you started simple, like checking fuel filter isnt leaking air (plunger on top common issue) and fuel pump filters blocked?

Comment

This continues to infuriate me, last week with plastic tubing in place of corroded pipes ran perfectly after the ususal inital stall after two minutes, went for 40 mile run perfect no issues. This week it starts fine will run for 2-3 minutes stops and will not start again for 5 minutes

Comment

Are there any surf experts in the yorkshire area. Tony n is too far away

Comment

it maybe you fuel solenoid? you can change this part in place without having to remove too much.

Comment

Yes someone has suggested the spill control valve which i believe is the same thing. unfortunately its £150 notes from roughtrax dont know if you can test the old one in any way

Comment

Have a scout through this its a manual for the 1kz-te engine and I'm sure there is a step to test spill control but cant be certain as to how much depth. http://daemon4x4.org/tech/hiluxsurf/info/manuals/1KZ-TE/

Comment

I would have the ecu tested before you look into the SCV possibility

Cheers

Comment

I mean SPV

Comment

The RT Spill control valve page has a step by step test for the SPV, you need to measure the resistance , Ohm, seems pretty easy to do.
                              But my money is still on the ECU. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X