Intermittent starting/ running fault

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dover thanks for that interesting reading and a great resource
    tashtego thanks also, any tips on getting to the ecu I believe its the whole dash off ? any other way, how do I deal with the airbag

Comment

No it's on the passenger side, you need to remove the glove box and unscrew the panel behind it.
      The ECU itself is mounted on a couple of rails . Unclip the connectors (3 if I remember rightl) and then unscrew it from the rails with a Phillips screwdriver. Plenty videos on you tube i think. It is a quick

Comment

i dont think it is likely to be a dodgy spill valve...

id also be fitting a section of clear fuel line to check for air when it cuts out just to rule it out

Comment

Thanks all
          I feel pretty sure now that this is electrical rather than fuel as when it runs it is smooth no juddering, signs of fuel stravation etc
          even when i connected the corroded part loosely with a piece of rubber deisel was dripping out af the connection but still ran beautifully
          if it is going to stop

Comment

Just done diagnostics check using paper clip
            engine check light flashes continuosly pulsing approx 0.5 s on 0.5 s off
            also the o/d light is flashing in the same pattern any ideas

Comment

if it is a steady conitnous flash, means no faults. search on here for the fault code list

Comment

Yes steady continuous flash of engine check light and od light so i assume no faults. I sent thd ecu to the ecu doctor who give it a clean bill of health, no faults found.
                My knowledge is limited so beginning to give up that the old girl will run properly again.
                I am reconsidering whether this could be a

Comment

it sounds like you are getting air. it is going to be something simple. so lets start from the beginning.

fuel filter - check.
                  filters in fuel pump x 2 - check. (one behind temp sensor on nearside of pump, 22mm spanner removes, (use a bolt, m8 from memory to extract it) and on the fuel intake on the top of

Comment

PS, worry less about the filters inside the pump, try all the other stuff first. Whereabouts are you located?

Comment

Thanks for the prompts, exactly what I need I shall hopefully get on with this over the next week.
                      In Leeds area

Comment

ok not near me (not that im not home for a few weeks anyway) but yes start simple!!

Comment

Latest update
                          i disconnected pipe from primer to pump and with clear tubing and can of diesel in engine bay ran engine.
                          result was the same stalling approx2-3 minutes from starting. Sometimes it would restart immediately and run normally, other time it would not start, the glow plug lights would not come on.

Comment

Continues to deteriorate, now refusing to start at all. Engine turns over but wont catch, at the same time the battery light, glow plug light and check engine light no longer light up. So when i try to check fault code nothing

Comment

Check the glow plug fuse, and then if thats ok the glow plugs. If both ok it might be the relay. I recon its still something simple. The glow plugs will continue to be powered up at a reduced voltage (7v i think) once the engine starts until it reaches a certain temp normally achieved after 2 mins. It does

Comment

Ps good job eliminating the fuel being the issue with a can. It was important and a valuable step forwards despite not fixing the problem

Comment

Working...
                                X