Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AIR CON.info. required

Hi all

I've had my 3.0litre Surf for about a year now and would really appreciate some help and guidance re. the AC. When I first got the vehicle the AC seemed to be working normally, but for some time it has struggled to perform adequate cooling. The gas leaving the compressor seems cold enough and the clutch on the compressor activates when the unit is switched on, but doesn't appear to stay engaged long enough to do any useful cooling and cycles on and off every twenty seconds or so. What I would like to know, if anyone can assist, is:
    1) Should the AC switch in and out at the compressor automatically and if so how often?
    2) If so what controls this, ie.a control unit, timer or temp.sensor etc.?
    3) What is the likely cause and fix of the problem?

On a different note, can anyone tell me whether a uk spec. Forerunner rear wiper arm supplied by the local Toyota dealer will fit my '94 SSRG vehicle.

Many thanks in advance for any help given

Originally posted by Guy Chessall
    Hi all

I've had my 3.0litre Surf for about a year now and would really appreciate some help and guidance re. the AC. When I first got the vehicle the AC seemed to be working normally, but for some time it has struggled to perform adequate cooling. The gas leaving the compressor seems cold enough and the clutch on the compressor activates when the unit is switched on, but doesn't appear to stay engaged long enough to do any useful cooling and cycles on and off every twenty seconds or so. What I would like to know, if anyone can assist, is:
    1) Should the AC switch in and out at the compressor automatically and if so how often?

On a different note, can anyone tell me whether a uk spec. Forerunner rear wiper arm supplied by the local Toyota dealer will fit my '94 SSRG vehicle.

The aircon isnt industrial strength and doesnt perform as well as modern car units that give a real icy blast. However, it's good enough to be useful.

Mine cycles on and off when idling too, can't tell of course when i'm running along, but its certainly working. It won't work as well when the outside air is cold anyway. I note you got the surf a year ago so your initial impression was formed during the summer.

If there is a fluid leak, then it will pretty soon be empty and the system will not work at all then. But if everything mechanical seems to be working all you can really do is get it charged up and see if that makes a difference (about £60!!). From what you describe it's prob Ok - try it on a warm day. Worth remembering to work the a/c for 5mins or so every week (even in winter) to keep the seals lubricated and the fluid IN!!

I believe rear wipers are available easily from Toyota dealers around £12 I think for a complete unit or you can buy lengths of blade for a bit less and cut to fit.

Cheers

Kev
    Last edited by exmee46; 26 March 2005, 00:39.

Comment

Another aircon thread here:
      http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12483

Yours sounds exactly like mine was when I got it. I had mine regassed for £65+VAT at a local garage last summer and its much better now. Compressor stays active for longer now too.

Comment

Hi all

I have a 95 3lt and the air-con seems to perform exactly the same as yours only the interior does cool down, although I don't use the air-con very often as I usually have the window down. My son is a Mazda mechanic and he says the air-con could do with re-gassing. As he is in the trade it isn't going to cost me anything so I am lucky. He reckons most air-con systems need re-gassing every couple of years especially if they are not used for long periods of time
        As far as I am aware the 4Runner is virtually a Surf re-badged for the USA/UK markets so the wiper should fit OK.
        Nil Illigitimi Carborundum

Comment

Yes, but they often need chassis numbers to order parts, but just give them yours, Toy dealers can get parts for Surfs without any dramas. They'll all be the same part number when its found.

I just buy the wiper refills from halfrauds for the back.
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by exmee46
            The aircon isnt industrial strength and doesnt perform as well as modern car units that give a real icy blast. However, it's good enough to be useful.

Mine cycles on and off when idling too, can't tell of course when i'm running along, but its certainly working. It won't work as well when the outside air is cold anyway. I note you got the surf a year ago so your initial impression was formed during the summer.

If there is a fluid leak, then it will pretty soon be empty and the system will not work at all then. But if everything mechanical seems to be working all you can really do is get it charged up and see if that makes a difference (about £60!!). From what you describe it's prob Ok - try it on a warm day. Worth remembering to work the a/c for 5mins or so every week (even in winter) to keep the seals lubricated and the fluid IN!!

I believe rear wipers are available easily from Toyota dealers around £12 I think for a complete unit or you can buy lengths of blade for a bit less and cut to fit.

Cheers

Kev
            Many thanks for your prompt response, it's heartening to think that there probably isn't much wrong with the AC unit apart from perhaps a bit of gas. As regards the rear wiper, it is actually the arm that is missing -the bit that splines onto the shaft.

Regards

Guy

Comment

Many thanks for your prompt response, it's heartening to think that there probably isn't much wrong with the AC unit apart from perhaps a bit of gas. As regards the rear wiper, it is actually the arm that is missing -the bit that splines onto the shaft.

Regards

Guy

Sorry, yes you did say arm ddin't you. Don't know - but its got to be odds on that it will. It would be really perverse to design two. Depends how helpful your local Toyota dealer is I suppose.

Cheers

Kev

Comment

Well seems that a lot of answers to your questions may have covered you enquiry, but a little one from me the compressor is controlled via a pressure switch so refrigerant levels are most important, the temperature that you can get if the system is correctly charged is about 3 deg. (dam cold if you leave it on for a long time ) On the air off grill but cooling only really comes from the middle of the dashboard! So have it topped up but also get the LEAK found as you are damaging the environment!

Comment

Working...
                X