smokey exhaust issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smokey exhaust issue

I have had my surf (3.0TD auto 1994) for nearly a year now. When I got it I replaced the injectors as they were shot. Since then my surf still blows smoke intermittently. At around 80 to 90 kmph a light tap on the acceleration pedal can sometimes cause the car to blow large puffs of smoke out the back, and others time it is small. In the morning it blows little smoke if any.

After a little research I have been told it may be the exhaust seals on the turbo or it could be that the muffler is full of soot and is blowing it out when the turbo pressure kicks in.

ANYBODY GOT ANY IDEAS?

Oh yeah... it does not burn any oil at all.

Hi Fynal,

A couple of suggestions for you -

1) have you tried injector cleaner recently in her
    2) If you regularily drive her at low revs and a high gear (ie just after lock up) give her a blast at high revs and low gears - that will either burn or blast out the junk.

Trev
    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Smoky exhaust

It could be because of that damned EGR valve (exhaust gas recirculation valve), it is some brilliant idea to reduce NOX (Nitrous oxide) emissions by poisoning the engine! Aparently they are not fitted to the UK spec engine (although I stand to be corrected) and they work by allowing burnt exhaust gas back into the inlet to reduce the amount of oxygen available, the result is loads of black smoke!

I closed mine off by blocking up the pipe (the valve is the round thing right at the back of the engine on the R/H side (looking from the front) it has a thin rubber pipe coming from it with a little valve in the line. there is another similar looking valve near the top, but this is slightly lower down

Mine used to smoke, up hills, on the level under hard acceleration, once I blocked off this pipe the smoke has stopped.

Once I have a picture I'll post it.
      Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Originally posted by UDTrev
        Hi Fynal,

A couple of suggestions for you -

1) have you tried injector cleaner recently in her
        2) If you regularily drive her at low revs and a high gear (ie just after lock up) give her a blast at high revs and low gears - that will either burn or blast out the junk.

Trev
        Do a search on EGR valve - some pictures have already been posted on blocking off the EGR and it does appear to reduce smoking. I havn't had any problems with smoking (apart from 20 a day ) but blanked off the EGR anyway, and the engine does appear to run a little better. I intend to do a fuel economy check to confirm if it does make a significant difference but the engine does feel/sound a little crisper (not subjective I know but havn't got a dyno).
        Nil Illigitimi Carborundum

Comment

Found the pictures - thanks to whoever originally posted them - saved me blocking off the wrong pipe.
          Attached Files
          Nil Illigitimi Carborundum

Comment

Working...
          X