engine stopped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine stopped

Help! whilst driving to town this morning the engine on my Nreg 3.0 td cut out and now won't start.IT turns over fine but won't fire all fuses are ok and there is diesel at the filter. any advise would be appreciated.

heater plugs ??

Comment

Originally posted by joen.i
      heater plugs ??
      The engine was warm would the lack of heater plug function stop it firing also what caused it to cut out

Comment

i'm no expert guys, far from it, but really cannot see it being plugs related, as one the engine has initially fired, they don't stay on long anyway..i'd say it was a fuel issue, and if it cut dead, but still turns ok, its probably something at the pump end? when you turn it over, does it sound faster than usual, as that may indicate a broken cam-belt, i think?

Comment

Originally posted by mickey
          i'm no expert guys, far from it, but really cannot see it being plugs related, as one the engine has initially fired, they don't stay on long anyway..i'd say it was a fuel issue, and if it cut dead, but still turns ok, its probably something at the pump end? when you turn it over, does it sound faster than usual, as that may indicate a broken cam-belt, i think?
          Hi I dont want to be the bringer of bad tidings, but this happened to me on a 2.4 and the cam belt had snapped.

Comment

When an Engine just cuts out like this the first thing to check is the CAMBELT. Dont crank it over till youve checked this as you may cause more damage.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
            (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
              When an Engine just cuts out like this the first thing to check is the CAMBELT. Dont crank it over till youve checked this as you may cause more damage.
              I had a look at the cambelt it appears a little slack but does'nt appear to be broken, also i loosened 1 of the pipes on the back of the injector pump and tryed to pump fuel through manually with ignition on no fuel appeared ,any new ideas anyone

Comment

I had this exact same problem on my Transit diesel.
                ther was an air lock in the fuel. In the end I had to loosen all the pipes connecting on to the injectors and crank the engine over until diesel was spurting out.
                Been fine since.

Vince.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                  I had this exact same problem on my Transit diesel.
                  ther was an air lock in the fuel. In the end I had to loosen all the pipes connecting on to the injectors and crank the engine over until diesel was spurting out.
                  Been fine since.

Vince.
                  Thanks for the help so far everyone, i have taken the cambelt cover off the belt is not broken but is quite a bit slacker on the side away from the tensioner.could it have jumped a tooth on the fuel pump? if i turn the crank until the top pulley lines up with the mark is there also a mark on the pump pulley :

Comment

Yes, there should be a raised pointer on the engine block above the pully.

Comment

Originally posted by wickenuk
                      Thanks for the help so far everyone, i have taken the cambelt cover off the belt is not broken but is quite a bit slacker on the side away from the tensioner.could it have jumped a tooth on the fuel pump? if i turn the crank until the top pulley lines up with the mark is there also a mark on the pump pulley :
                      Happened to me once after I ran out of fuel then filled up. The car stopped later due to an airlock in the fuel lines. Quick pump of the fuel primer (on top of the fuel filter) and I was on my way again.

Hope it this simple for you!

Nevillef

Comment

Originally posted by laser_jock99
                        Happened to me once after I ran out of fuel then filled up. The car stopped later due to an airlock in the fuel lines. Quick pump of the fuel primer (on top of the fuel filter) and I was on my way again.

Hope it this simple for you!

Nevillef
                        timing marks all line up so cracked an injector and turned over the engine, no fuel at the injector i can only assume a problem with the injector pump

Comment

quote:i'm no expert guys, far from it, but really cannot see it being plugs related, as one the engine has initially fired, they don't stay on long anyway..i'd say it was a fuel issue, and if it cut dead, but still turns ok, its probably something at the pump end? when you turn it over, does it sound faster than usual, as that may indicate a broken cam-belt, i think?

sorry m8 didn't read it properly before i replied

Comment

have you checked your fuel filter? it could be blocked preventing fuel from reaching the injectors.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                              have you checked your fuel filter? it could be blocked preventing fuel from reaching the injectors.
                              fuel is getting to the inlet side of the pump when using the hand pump so i don't tjink its blocked..

Comment

Working...
                              X