Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funny noise from the Propshaft

Guys,
    I can actually hear the propshaft rotating as I drive (as if its slightly out of alignment - similar to a off-track tyre or flat tyre). The sound matches frequency as speed fluctuates. I do not get this noise in my Landrover, nor in my Sis's MG Midget - both of which are known for their "cruder" construction.

This is nothing to do with spider or U-Joint wear I should think.

any assistance would be apreciated.

Udhi

Originally posted by ChasesDragons
    Guys,
    I can actually hear the propshaft rotating as I drive (as if its slightly out of alignment - similar to a off-track tyre or flat tyre). The sound matches frequency as speed fluctuates. I do not get this noise in my Landrover, nor in my Sis's MG Midget - both of which are known for their "cruder" construction.

This is nothing to do with spider or U-Joint wear I should think.

any assistance would be apreciated.

Udhi

Try greasing up in the corrcet place via the grease nipples.
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

Originally posted by Koi
      Try greasing up in the corrcet place via the grease nipples.

Greasing is done religiously. If the UJ/Spiders are going boopsy, i would have thought there would have been a grinding noise?

Do you get a "wobbly" noise coming from the Surf Propshaft? It sounds similar the noise you get in buses. It may be normal and I might be a hypochondriacal, but would rather know now than on the motorway.

Comment

Originally posted by ChasesDragons
        Greasing is done religiously. If the UJ/Spiders are going boopsy, i would have thought there would have been a grinding noise?

Do you get a "wobbly" noise coming from the Surf Propshaft? It sounds similar the noise you get in buses. It may be normal and I might be a hypochondriacal, but would rather know now than on the motorway.
        I've had U/J's go and you can feel and hear them in the car + you should soon spot it from underneath.
        If you're underneath check for missing balance weights on the prop . It might be worth having it re-balanced for peace of mind, but I wouldn't expect it to be unbalanced without cause ??
        Geoff http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_6_5.gif.... http://www.boomspeed.com/carolrobert/police.gif......

Comment

Working...
        X