Water temp guage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water temp guage

I am in the process of fitting a new head on my 94 3.0 surf and was thinking of fitting a more accurate temp guage. The head on the car cracked and overheated before the stock gauge moved from its normal position.
    I think the best option would be to fit an aftermarket gauge and sender.
    Demontweeks do a range of gauges.
    I would like to also fit buzzer which would warn if the temp rises.
    Anyone any experience of this mod ?
    Thanks.

would be interested in some of this myself so lets hope someone out there has got some experience

Comment

Originally posted by patzx12
      I am in the process of fitting a new head on my 94 3.0 surf and was thinking of fitting a more accurate temp guage. The head on the car cracked and overheated before the stock gauge moved from its normal position.
      I think the best option would be to fit an aftermarket gauge and sender.
      Demontweeks do a range of gauges.
      I would like to also fit buzzer which would warn if the temp rises.
      Anyone any experience of this mod ?
      Thanks.
      As a precaution to limit overheating in addition to standard fan I fitted a twin 11" electric fan set up operated by a fully adjustable thermostat + manual overide switch. The thermostat switch came from Kenlowe (£35) and operates two fans sourced from pug 205 gti's. I also fitted a warning LED light in rear view mirror housing which flashes when fans run so I can monitor temperature. My 4runner hasnt got air con. so there was space available in front of radiator. Have also been looking for an accurate digital temp guage and have one at www.speeding.co.uk for £47 incl vat/del.

Comment

Iv'e noticed from reading the posts on cracked heads that most of the time there seems to be no indication via the temp gauge that there is an overheating problem but everybody seems certain that the cracked heads are caused by overheating. Could it be perhaps that either the temp gauge is not accurate enough, as has been suggested, or is the temperature sensor located in entirely the wrong place to pick up sudden changes in tempreture. If the coolant circulation is blocked then the hottest part of the system will be the cylinder head area. If the temp sensor is located lower down in the system then there is going to be little or no warning. This is just a thought but it may be worth investigation.
        Last edited by Silversurfer; 2 March 2005, 23:23.
        Nil Illigitimi Carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Silversurfer
          Iv'e noticed from reading the posts on cracked heads that most of the time there seems to be no indication via the temp gauge that there is an overheating problem but everybody seems certain that the cracked heads are caused by overheating. Could it be perhaps that either the temp gauge is not accurate enough, as has been suggested, or is the temperature sensor located in entirely the wrong place to pick up sudden changes in tempreture. If the coolant circulation is blocked then the hottest part of the system will be the cylinder head area. If the temp sensor is located lower down in the system then there is going to be little or no warning. This is just a thought but it may be worth investigation.
          The electric fans mod seems to be the way to go. My wife has a 2.2TD Almera ( great engine ) and this has a 2 fan set up at the back of the rad, this would be easy to adapt to the surf. I would eliminate the old engine driven fan if i fitted the electric ones.

Comment

Originally posted by sniper
            As a precaution to limit overheating in addition to standard fan I fitted a twin 11" electric fan set up operated by a fully adjustable thermostat + manual overide switch. The thermostat switch came from Kenlowe (£35) and operates two fans sourced from pug 205 gti's. I also fitted a warning LED light in rear view mirror housing which flashes when fans run so I can monitor temperature. My 4runner hasnt got air con. so there was space available in front of radiator. Have also been looking for an accurate digital temp guage and have one at www.speeding.co.uk for £47 incl vat/del.
            I looked at the website and they have a nifty digital temp gauge, lookin at the picture of the gauge i see it has a red warning light. I assume this is ajustable.
            I like the look of this but I would like to see one before i buy.

Comment

Originally posted by Silversurfer
              or is the temperature sensor located in entirely the wrong place to pick up sudden changes in tempreture. If the coolant circulation is blocked then the hottest part of the system will be the cylinder head area. If the temp sensor is located lower down in the system then there is going to be little or no warning. This is just a thought but it may be worth investigation.
              It has been noted before that the temp sensor on Surfs is not best placed. I've seen mod's on the Aus site where new senders have been fitted near the top hose in conjunction with an electric fan set up.

Nevillef

Comment

Originally posted by laser_jock@work
                It has been noted before that the temp sensor on Surfs is not best placed. I've seen mod's on the Aus site where new senders have been fitted near the top hose in conjunction with an electric fan set up.

Nevillef
                Deemontweeks do an adaptor which cuts into the top hose and takes a temp sender. This seems to be a good option and easy to fit.

Comment

Originally posted by patzx12
                  Deemontweeks do an adaptor which cuts into the top hose and takes a temp sender. This seems to be a good option and easy to fit.

Just seen this post and Think this is what you mean? bought from Demon Tweeks!

The gauge on the left is a transmission oil temp gauge plumbed by means of a tee into the transmission output line before the inbuilt rad cooler. Iv'e been running this setup for a couple of years now and learnt a lot about these temps Also run 2 additional transmission coolers plumbed in series after the inbuilt one !

Just done a rad mod together with a new replacement 4 row core! not warm enough to test under load yet (tow a big twin axle caravan) but the theory seems right having seen some excessive water and transmission oil temps towing this summer!
                  Attached Files
                  www.europa88.co.uk Loadsa mods!

Comment

Working...
                  X