No announcement yet.

top speed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok i wont try to be fancy again, i guess them spiolers don't do much good to the surf then.

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
      ... cruises nicely at 90
      so does the needle on the fuel gauge, downwards!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
        depending where it's from, could have a speed limiter on it... some from middle east have a bell that rings at a certain speed, could be a more advanced version of that?
        japanese limiter is set to 112mph... not sure if there is one on the surf tho... my supra certainly had one... nice to get it removed

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Parkinson
          japanese limiter is set to 112mph... not sure if there is one on the surf tho... my supra certainly had one... nice to get it removed
          I have cruised at 90 in mine but not since having a blowout at that speed. The limiter on mine works like this:
          When my bum cheeks start to flap my right foot involuntarily lifts off the loud pedal.
          It's only a hobby!

Comment

Top Speed

I had my 1KZ-TE-powered 1994 Surf up to 150km/h once. Once. I backed off the go pedal a bit to take the attached photo. Since that is nearly twice the legal speed limit where I live in Japan I do not regularly drive that fast. I simply wanted to see how fast the Surf will go and how it will handle at top speed.

The fuel economy - whether measured in miles per gallon or litres per 100km - is not so impressive; my last figures were 15.34mpg. Still, possibly the best car I have ever owed. When trade-in time comes I will simply look for a newer model Surf - an intercooled 1996 and up model or maybe a 2000 and up Surf with the newer 1KD-FTV motor.

If I return to my native United States I'll buy a 1996 and up model 4Runner and make do with the 5VZ-FE gasoline motor.

Jeff
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff

If I return to my native United States I'll buy a 1996 and up model 4Runner and make do with the 5VZ-FE gasoline motor.

Jeff
              Make do! I'd swap all our oil burners for that motor!

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Jeff , you don't want to be floging your motor like that with the timing belt light on as in your pic.It'll be expensive if it goes!

Comment

Timing Belt Light

I would not have even been driving the car (much) if the timing belt light was on. However, when I purchased the car I visually confirmed what the seller had claimed. There was indeed a new timing belt below the timing belt cover. For whatever reason the dash light was still indicating the need for a belt change.

I took the Surf in for some a/c work and the shop reset the timing belt light (or did whatever is necessary to cut off the indicator.)

Jeff

Comment

Motor Availability

Originally posted by TonyN
                    Make do! I'd swap all our oil burners for that motor!

In Japan both the gasoline and diesel-turbo motors are available; in the US emission standards prevent the importation of the diesels; in stateside models one has a choice of a four- or six-cylinder gasoline (and lately a V8.)

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                    X