Suspension - Improvements???!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspension - Improvements???!!

Does anyone else find the 3rd Gen truck a little harshly sprung?

My old 1st Gen was a lovely smooth ride with the adjustables on it!

They went and stuck the Colorado harsh ride and too long bump stops on the darn thing!

How far can i cut the rear stops??? They bottom out all the time and my Subaru had less thump on speed humps!!

Now i get a bang and shudder as i hit the ramp!

Can i just cut the stops and replace the rear shocks for gas / adjustables to improve it?

Any help greatly appreciated......

Damon

Perhaps yor springs are sagging a bit ?
    I find my 3rg gen no harsher than my old 2nd gen, plus I've never bottomed out even over some savage speed-mountains (not mere humps) they've installed in Dublin airport - Bas***ds
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Have you got the adjustables?

My Surf looks identical to yours only mines black with silver - i have front fogs on my A-Bar too.

I just get a little shudder as the front hits and then a bit of a thump as it decends - it hasn't done many miles and is immaculate!
      The Colorado is exactly the same on humps - but we trimmed the bump stops and it is now far far better!

Just a harsher ride in general than my 1st Gen

Thanks

Damon

(discussions on mileage are banned for those mileage police....coz i don't care!)

Comment

Originally posted by kite surf

My Surf looks identical to yours only mines black with silver - i have front fogs on my A-Bar too.

I just get a little shudder as the front hits and then a bit of a thump as it decends - it hasn't done many miles and is immaculate!
        The Colorado is exactly the same on humps - but we trimmed the bump stops and it is now far far better!

Just a harsher ride in general than my 1st Gen

Thanks

Damon

(discussions on mileage are banned for those mileage police....coz i don't care!)
        That's it, rub it in, if there's one thing I'd like to change about my Surf its the colour, nothing wrong with it, but I'm firmly of the opinion, "any color as long as its Black", but I couldn't find one Bawhaaa my old 2nd gen was black/silver -gorgeous.
        As for mileage, well mines huge (ooh er missus) but guess I'd better not discuss it !!

Anyway you must be hittin humps abit harder than me, but if triming the stops on your colorado worked, then I say go ahead and try removing the same amount from the Surf. Let us know how it works out.
        Maurice

Comment

Oh forgot to answer that bit!

Yes, don't normally use it unless well laden.

But... discovered last nite that its stopped working !! I must have disturbed something while inserting the blue led into the switch, atough I'm sure I checked its operation after reassembly, ah well...
          Maurice

Comment

Cheers Maurice, yes i think the adjustables were a little less harsh than the new non adjustables! Dunno why they didn't put them on this one - was it an option or just a 97 mod?

I swear they are trying to make these trucks school trip cars with road suspension!

Has anyone fitted replacement shocks to a 3rd Gen?

Do they soften the damping and remove the shudder on bumpy roads??

Mine seems to be almost like the front end floats sideways when it shudders on really rough washboard roads - which is either no damping or too much damping (from mountainbiking experience!)

Since the shockers appear to be OK i would go for the 'too much' damping option!

Anyone experience of the ES9000 sold by LA Supertrucks?

Damon

Comment

Cheers Maurice, yes i think the adjustables were a little less harsh than the new non adjustables! Dunno why they didn't put them on this one - was it an option or just a 97 mod?

I swear they are trying to make these trucks school trip cars with road suspension!

Has anyone fitted replacement shocks to a 3rd Gen?

Do they soften the damping and remove the shudder on bumpy roads??

Mine seems to be almost like the front end floats sideways when it shudders on really rough washboard roads - which is either no damping or too much damping (from mountainbiking experience!)

Since the shockers appear to be OK i would go for the 'too much' damping option!

Anyone experience of the ES9000 sold by LA Supertrucks?

Damon
              Bumpy roads, I know what you mean! My surf is awful on bumpy roads and the front tends to bounce all the way down the m-way. One of my front shocks is leaking so the dealer is going to replace both for me. Mine are the adjustables and there doesn't seem to be enough damping. Will let you know how i get on later this week after they've been changed.

Comment

Those adjustable front shocks cost a fortune. Is the dealer paying?
                I,ve got nothing but praise for the es9000. The electronic adjustors are only small & I think the toyota shocks must be pretty feeble for the first inch or two . It seems as if they just take up the loose play. Decent springs & shocks improve the handling no end .

Geoff
                Geoff http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_6_5.gif.... http://www.boomspeed.com/carolrobert/police.gif......

Comment

THe main difference l find with my wifes 3rd gen Surf is it is so light on the steering.
                  Live Life To The Full

Comment

Originally posted by bensonsnuts
                    Those adjustable front shocks cost a fortune. Is the dealer paying?
                    Yup

Comment

Maurice, do you have the setting at Hard or Mormal, I normally drive in Hard. But the 2nd gen was usually left in Normal.

Damon, Another reason why you might experiance the sideways shudder is worn or perished body mounts. You can replace these with poly bushes, do a search for them in the states. Also you can get low profile bump stops for the states. (if you search for 4runner stuff in the states you will find loads of stuff)

I will probably put in poly bushes if and when I get the body lift...

Comment

Originally posted by Cmar
                        Maurice, do you have the setting at Hard or Mormal, I normally drive in Hard. But the 2nd gen was usually left in Normal.

Damon, Another reason why you might experiance the sideways shudder is worn or perished body mounts. You can replace these with poly bushes, do a search for them in the states. Also you can get low profile bump stops for the states. (if you search for 4runner stuff in the states you will find loads of stuff)

I will probably put in poly bushes if and when I get the body lift...
                        I only use the Hard setting when full of bodies/gear, otherwise normal does for me.

Regarding the poly bushings, I've searched in vain for these to suit the 3rd gen, no problem for the first or second, but now ours, have you found them ?

Have you thought further about the Bodylift ? I reckon the RB is the way do go. Ready to pool together to split the postage yet?
                        Maurice

Comment

Yeah, thats a good idea about splitting the postage and RB should cut us a deal. On the ploy bushes, RB has some links on his site for them. If I get a chance later I'll dig 'em out. I think they run around $100 for the set.

What other plans have you for your Surf???

Comment

Cheers guys!
                            Geoff, will the ES9000 make a difference without changing the springs...or do i need to go the whole hog???

Will check out the bushes and come back!

Damon

Comment

http://www.suspension.com/
                              http://www.energysuspension.com/
                              http://www.prothane.com/
                              http://www.jcwhitney.com/
                              http://www.northwestoffroad.com/

Maurice,
                              These are the links of RB's site for the poly bushes.

Comment

Working...
                              X