worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• worth it?

i am looking at a 1993 toyota hilux surf 3.0 ssr-x Limited Auto 70k on the clock atm its pretty much mint condition i am just wondering if its worth 6995? hes doing me a good deal on my trade in (more that the car i have is worth really) i am just wondering if its worth just under 7k? only marks on it are some on the back bumper that hes having fixed and one on the roof (just a sticker were a ariel has been), its a import and in good condition under the bonnet and things,

hopfully test driving it in the next few days (see what its like and if i can adapt to a auto)

got a quote of £1300 form my current insurance (because i am only 18 and i am putting my mum as the main driver) so i need to get that down a bit (trying deeside, adrian flux and lifesure tomorrow) i need to get that closer to 1k (thats the renewal on my current car so it wouldnt be much of a change)

Last week when someone was considering buying my '94 3.0ltr, I checked http://www.autotrader.co.uk/ for current prices. The cheapest 3.0ltr was £5700 and the dearest was around 8k! I dropped the price of mine to £5900 'cos it needs new tyres.... he didn't buy it for other reasons, which I'm glad about.

Back to the plot, have you driven other Surfs to get a feel of 'em? If you can, get one with Recaro's, they're the mutz!!
    Damian

http://www.themudlife.co.uk

Comment

Hi, I paid £4300 cash, for a 1991 j reg. 70,000 kms, from a private seller.
      I think just under seven grand is a bit high. with or without a part ex.

Have you tried Tesco insurance? I just renewed mine, £294 fully comp. with the missus as named driver,... but then,I am 24 years older than you!lol

Comment

£4,300 for a '91, whoaaaaah Tony you can drive my baby over there and sell her to the highest bidder, send me the dosh back

Comment

he has one with Recaro's in but its a year newer and 8k (doesnt look as nice ether suppose i could always get some recaro's from some one who is breaking there hilux (if that ever happens)),

havent had chance to drive many 4wd's at all only one i have was a swb pajero (with no wipers... in the rain... at about 60mph fun hey lol) but i have always liked hilux's

think i will go for it at the price he said as 6995 is kinda inbetween 5k and 8k and it is a nice looking car, just gotta test drive it first,

i might try tesco insurance tomorrow as well,

i did want a manual but because of the finance on my golf its gotta be in trade hands and every 1 i found was in a bad way (the one he has with recaros is a manual but its too dear),

what are the autos like really?

Comment

Back in March 2004 I paid 6995 for a nov 1993 3.0Litre with 79,000km, and can say it's been a gem

The fun of driving the Surf and the reliabilty makes it all worth while

Trev
            Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Originally posted by Ste00

what are the autos like really?

Theyre fine I've driven manual for 24 years until i got my surf last may took a little getting used to auto but now find it a much more relaxing drive.

Comment

thanks for all the help and stuff just 1 more thing i need to know,

is the ssr-x limited a good version?

Comment

Worth It

The SSRX is the second top of the range - the SSRG being the top. However it doesn't really mean that much as most Surfs have vastly differing individual specs. Also a lot of stuff, such as wheels, stereo's etc will have been changed by the original owners. Look at each individual vehicle for what is actually on it.
                  I bought my 1995 3lt SSRX last August for £6750from a dealer . A relatively high price will reflect what the dealer is allowing you for your trade in. If you are in a position to - ask what a cash price would be.
                  Mine is an Auto and I now actually prefer it to a manual - even off-road, it is a lot more relaxing to drive.
                  Definately try Tesco for insurance - they are the only ones I tried who were not bothered by the Surf being an import. My wife has a Honda CRX DEl Sol import and again Tesco wern't bothered by it even when I again mentioned that it was an import. Also my son is 20 and has a Honda CRX VTec (ballistic missile) and Tesco was by far the cheapest quote.
                  Good luck with the Surf.
                  Nil Illigitimi Carborundum

Comment

i'm not in a position to ask him for a cash price really hes giving me enough to clear the credit i have left on my golf then i have to pay for the hilux with another loan / finance so i suppose it is kinda like cash in the way that hes buying the golf rather than a part ex,

and one of the first things i will be changing on it will be the stero (bought a £300 sony head unit not long ago so there is no way thats going with the golf)

thanks for all the help ppl, cant wait to get my hands on it

Comment

Worth It

Look forward to you posting some pics when you get it.
                      Nil Illigitimi Carborundum

Comment

hi m8 another £1000 an u can get a 3rd gen .@6995 ur basicaly payiny the finance urself m8 believe me traders don't do faviours sell ur car m8 the get a loan an then look for 1 garrantee u will not regret it make them think ur a cash customer

Comment

gonna stick with this one, paid the deposit today and dropping another 1k in (bank loan is too expensive so i am putting 1k cash in and getting finance on the car),

the golf isnt worth enough to cover the finance (on the book prices) so he is doing me a favor by covering the finance on that really or i would lose a lot (only had the golf 2 months lol), and the hilux is nice for £6995 the best one i have seen and it drives well (kickdown is really powerful lol)

Comment

Errr...

It took 3 months of searching but I picked up a mint L Reg 3.0 SSRX Auto with polished 16" alloys, new stereo, central locking, alarm and immobiliser, and 45k miles on the clock for £5500. They are out there if you are patient. Insurance was £190 fully comp through Lifesure. But then I am an old fart at 48!

Cheers

Rob

Comment

well my insurance isnt too bad £1300 fully comp, £1600 in installments (considering the golf would be £900 at renwal TPF&t),

one thing, what BHP is the 3.0 auto?

the stero was never a major thing as i have a sony head unit that i had had in my last 2 cars (had 2 in the last 12 months lol)

Comment

Working...
                              X