Steering box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering box

HI all, can the ever knowing Forumers help me out again ?

I hope so, took the motor in for the tracking as it vibrates like a rampant rabbit over 60mph, and the grease monkey showed me that the steering box is all loose, I did'nt know too much of what he was on about but he was right the passenger side wheel shook side to side quite alot compared to the drivers side front wheel. HE said I should get it sorted out before getting the tracking done as if it gets looser the tracking will be out again. Seem like he made sense to me, so what is a steering box and why has only 1 of my wheels come loose and how do I sort it out myself? Oh yeah Grease monkey said every Surf he has sen has the same problem !

Cheers any response a welcome response,

The pitman arm is connected to the steering box, This moves the said steering rack type thingymajig. So it only has one connecting point if 1 side is ok i'd say its not the steering box at fault.
    Attached Files
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by Donk_UK
      Oh yeah Grease monkey said every Surf he has sen has the same problem !

Cheers any response a welcome response,
      Yeah, they don't seem to last over 60,000miles. It probebly the ider arm bushes.

Jack the car and watch the idler arm, the shaft in side normally has a lot of play, its a under £10 repair normally for the two bushes. (BTW, forget Milners or Roughtrax, the bushes are actually cheaper from Toyota)

Its on the pic above.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Took it to toyota in Bournemouth not much help there they said it was just warped disks, I didnt like the fact that I had to talk to a middleman and he go off and talk to a mechanic but still. I don't see how they can " CHECK " the car out without lifting it up on the ramps. Anyway I'm pretty sure the disks are warped as it does wobble under load when braking, but I took it into there and said I had lots of play in the wheels from side to side.

So I went home glum faced and jacked it up again and had someone hold one wheel whilst I wobbled it side to side it had a fair bit of play in it I don't know how much but it seemed pretty even on each side. I did however notice that on full lock I have a nut on the rear side of my brake caliper grinding against some suspensiony bit check pic you'll prolly know what it is. I have come to the conclusion that my Surfs to low at the front. Would I (a) need to replace the front shocks or (b) somehow adjust it so it sits higher??

Cheers all,
        Attached Files

Comment

Took it to toyota in Bournemouth not much help there they said it was just warped disks, I didnt like the fact that I had to talk to a middleman and he go off and talk to a mechanic but still. I don't see how they can " CHECK " the car out without lifting it up on the ramps. Anyway I'm pretty sure the disks are warped as it does wobble under load when braking, but I took it into there and said I had lots of play in the wheels from side to side.

So I went home glum faced and jacked it up again and had someone hold one wheel whilst I wobbled it side to side it had a fair bit of play in it I don't know how much but it seemed pretty even on each side. I did however notice that on full lock I have a nut on the rear side of my brake caliper grinding against some suspensiony bit check pic you'll prolly know what it is. I have come to the conclusion that my Surfs to low at the front. Would I (a) need to replace the front shocks or (b) somehow adjust it so it sits higher??

Cheers all,
          looks like steering stop and should be there..you most probably have read about people hearing scraping on full lock and been told to grease it!
          Gaz

Comment

Me no mechanic, but.......

Pic is perfect shot of the steering stops, nothing wrong there!

If judders when brakeing, highly likely to be a bushes prob, have had that on many cars.
            Lifes for smileing at! when ya Surf's not broke!

Comment

Gizmo......make a wish.....LOL
              Lifes for smileing at! when ya Surf's not broke!

Comment

Originally posted by TimberSurf
                Gizmo......make a wish.....LOL
                I wish...I wish.....oh to hell with it
                Gaz

Comment

The pic dosent show up to well the wear on the stop the nut thats rubbing on it is worn away big time. Surely grease cant be a resolve?

Comment

The pic dosent show up to well the wear on the stop the nut thats rubbing on it is worn away big time. Surely grease cant be a resolve?
                    GREASE is the only fix its a common fault. GREASE front & back as there are 2 per side. Even if you get new bolt end-caps they will eventually wear down again.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                    (")_(")

Comment

Working...
                    X