Turbo warning light ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo warning light ?

What causes the turbo warning light to come on, ie what is it warning you of ? i have a 1996 4 runner 3.0L TD driving back to france from the uk last night at a steady 130kilometers per hour just over 3000 revs, and the orange turbo light would come on for about 5 mins then go off again, then half an hour later the same thing ? over the course of my ten hour journey the light came on about a dozen times, why might this be ? a reply in lay mans terms would be apreciated,

Thanks
    Richard.

Turbo warning light ?

Originally posted by Richard Creighton
    What causes the turbo warning light to come on, ie what is it warning you of ? i have a 1996 4 runner 3.0L TD driving back to france from the uk last night at a steady 130kilometers per hour just over 3000 revs, and the orange turbo light would come on for about 5 mins then go off again, then half an hour later the same thing ? over the course of my ten hour journey the light came on about a dozen times, why might this be ? a reply in lay mans terms would be apreciated,

Thanks
    Richard.
    Hi there!
    If you drove 10 hours about 130km/h, what do you think?
    Diesel engines heats very fast and need to stop from times to times to cold.

At that constant speed, the turbo overheat and may cause a faillure.
    Take care....
    Jose Carlos (Charles)
    "Everybody need something. I think I need a beer..."

Comment

Originally posted by TugaRunner
      Hi there!
      If you drove 10 hours about 130km/h, what do you think?
      Diesel engines heats very fast and need to stop from times to times to cold.

At that constant speed, the turbo overheat and may cause a faillure.
      Take care....
      A diesel engine will run 24/7 at that speed with no problems.

Comment

turbo light

Originally posted by andy
        A diesel engine will run 24/7 at that speed with no problems.
        Well, try to run 10hours in a 40ºC day and see what happens.
        (Here in the south of Portugal and Spain.)
        If the engine runs without probs at that speed, then the turbo, in this case, have probs?

I'm curious about this peculiar subject.
        Regards,
        Jose Carlos (Charles)
        "Everybody need something. I think I need a beer..."

Comment

its more of a engine fault light than turbo light on 4Runners, you need to pull the fault codes and see whats amiss.

Theres plenty of info here on checking fault codes.
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TugaRunner
            Well, try to run 10hours in a 40ºC day and see what happens.
            (Here in the south of Portugal and Spain.)
            Regards,
            I've done close to that here in Australia when over 40 deg C and don't have a problem.Ambient temperature has little to do with engine operating temperature.If the cooling system is working efficiently then there won't be a problem.

Neville

Comment

Thanks for the responses, where do i get the fault code from ? do i have to plug some sort of gadget into the car ? the car has had this problem since i bought it, i dont think its heat, i was travelling through the night and sunday night was clear and very cold, i had a problem with the engine which turned out to be a cracked cylinder head, (unusual i am told in the 3.0L) but that was replaced with a brand new head only 6 weeks ago. but the turbo light came on intermitantly before the head went, i am hoping the 2 problems are not connected, again any advice is welcomed.

Richard

Comment

From my understanding of the 3.0TD turbo light, it only comes on when the turbo is overheting.
                Check your oil level and grade....make sure you are getting pressure.
                BEWARE OF THE REAPER

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Creighton

Thanks
                  Richard.
                  I may be wrong but seem to remember reading that the warning light indicates turbo pressure running either too high or too low. According to the Toyota 1kz-t workshop manual if the pressure should become too high than a waste gate valve would release excess pressure to return to normal operating limits.
                  Last edited by sniper; 11 February 2005, 21:10.

Comment

Warning Light

If the 4-Runner is the same system as the Surf 3.0 TD,the orange light in the tacho warns of a problem with the engine,and not just the turbo.As has been mentioned,you need to access the fault codes to determine the problem.For the Surf 3.0 have a look at: [url]www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/manuals/1KZ-TE.Hope that helps.
                    Don`t get mad,get even !

Comment

Oil Warning Light

Hi Guys just found this forum have a hi lux surf SSR Limited h reg deisel been having problem with oil light for ages took it to garage and they replaced oil pump etc at an heavy cost of 1200£ two week later the lights back from reading here you say it may be now a torbo fault and now iam really woried as money has left me and wife thinking the same .

How do i check what wrong the lights comes on after running it for about an hour and then stays on somtimes goes off when the light is on the green turbo light does not and feel jerky movements when stop at lights as if something is stuck and the car needs to drive.

Please help guys not a diy fantaic but need your advice before going back to garage

Comment

Originally posted by stormrider
                        If the 4-Runner is the same system as the Surf 3.0 TD,the orange light in the tacho warns of a problem with the engine,and not just the turbo.As has been mentioned,you need to access the fault codes to determine the problem.For the Surf 3.0 have a look at: [url]www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/manuals/1KZ-TE.Hope that helps.
                        I have had this a number of times with my 4.2 Landcruiser VX and although I change the oil filter and oil at 4500 mile intervals an oil change seems to fix it. On one occasion the cause was the flexi in the exhaust system blowing.

Comment

Working...
                        X