Spring compressors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring compressors

I know this subject has been discussed to death ,but i when changing the springs on the back i can only find threads that have dropped the axle to get them out. I have spring compressors ,is it easier to do this way ??? And is there anything i should look out for when i do.

Thanks again
    Mike
    I always work better wet .

Its why I became a plumber!!!

You may still need to drop the axle (or at least one side) not to remove the old springs, but to insert the new...

Certainly what I found with mine...

andyL

Comment

Did mine with 2 sets of spring compressors cos one didnt compress far enough! The car was suported on axle stands so that the axle could move.
      THE ORIGINAL CRAZY BITCH!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike66
        I know this subject has been discussed to death ,but i when changing the springs on the back i can only find threads that have dropped the axle to get them out. I have spring compressors ,is it easier to do this way ??? And is there anything i should look out for when i do.

Thanks again
        Mike
        As we said at McD's tonight, make sure you position them so you can undo them, avoid the top two coils at each end of the spring. I compress the middle three coils usually, as tight as poss, with the axle hanging on the radius arms, and the bottem shock bolts removed. Make sure you unbolt the middle brake pipe brackets on the axle first though.

Also, I had to grind a little off the hook part of the spring compressor arm, to get them out once the spring coils are closer together after its installed

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I found the biggest problem with trying to use only spring compressors without dropping the axle too far was that when I got the spring out, the compressor wouldn't expand enough with the spring not compressed part way by the weight of the car to get the hooks out of the coils. Had to put it back in and only compress a couple of coils to be able to get them off.
          Mike G

Comment

Thanks again people ( as i know ladies are in the room)

Will let you know what happens
            I always work better wet .

Its why I became a plumber!!!

Comment

I ended using both spring compressors and droping the axle down (one side at a time). This certainly made the job a lot easier. You'll either need to temporarily disconnect the brake line (good time to fit an extended braided hose) or disconnect all the fittings holding the solid brake to the underbody.

Nevillef

Comment

Working...
              X