Converted Tailgate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converted Tailgate?

to anybodies knowledge, has a Surf Tailgate been converted from Electric window to a Range Rover style 2 piece or Landcruiser/Discovery type door.
    I'm having all sorts of probs with mine as my Dogs like it slightly down and rest their heads on it , so it's starting creeking and moving really slowly, I'm also worried about the glass getting broken by one of the pooches.
    It's not the best design Toyota ever came up with, doesn't exactly allow quick access to the boot area.
    any help most welcome.
    If you need a GOOD Electrician, call someone else!
    YeeHaa

I dont think the SURF was designed for DOGS.
    Attached Files
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by Widebody
      It's not the best design Toyota ever came up with, doesn't exactly allow quick access to the boot area.
      any help most welcome.
      I think its the greatest part of a Surf, But you need to be keeping the runners keeping clean and the mechanisum well lubed.

Would'nt change it for anything, love cruising around with the window open.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

i love it too!
        why have they never used it in a gangster film???
        Tim
        Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
          I think its the greatest part of a Surf, But you need to be keeping the runners keeping clean and the mechanisum well lubed.

Would'nt change it for anything, love cruising around with the window open.

I think its great and love the fold down tailgate on the beach or at the park etc, great outdoor seating!
          THE ORIGINAL CRAZY BITCH!

Comment

Ever thought of fitting a dog cage so you can open the window without the dogs being able to touch it. OR, save up for a 3rd gen!!!!

Pete

Comment

I love the slide down rear window. It's such a pose and confuses the hell out of people who have never seen it operate before. It also allows me to smoke without the inside of the truck smelling like an ash tray. Rear side windows an inch down, tailgate window an inch down and draught-free fresh air.

I bet the A-Team would have replaced the glass with armour plate!
              It's only a hobby!

Comment

My two Irish Wolfhounds love to stick their heads out the back. To see the faces of people in the street or in the car behind, makes my trips rally enjoyable. They take photos, even to the extent of hanging out of their car windows.
                Tail or maybe should be headgate works fine.
                Philip
                Still Searching,
                Dick Whittington

Comment

Originally posted by Widebody
                  to anybodies knowledge, has a Surf Tailgate been converted from Electric window to a Range Rover style 2 piece or Landcruiser/Discovery type door.

Not that I know of.....

I'm having all sorts of probs with mine as my Dogs like it slightly down and rest their heads on it , so it's starting creeking and moving really slowly,

As it gets colder the rubber around the window gets hard and slows the window. Halfrauds do a good silicon rubber lubricant that you spray on the rubbers. As Tony said you need to keep the window mechanism lubricated. You need to take the door panel off (Held on with clips), carefully remove the plastic cover, lubruicate everything with a PTFE based lube (Not WD40, lasts about a week!) put the plastic back on using silicon sealant around the edge. Then put the panel back on.

I'm also worried about the glass getting broken by one of the pooches.

I would be surprised if they break it by leaning on it

any help most welcome.

True, it's because it's based on the pickup and they just designed a window to go in the pick up tailgate. One advantage of this is the tailgate is !!!!!! strong and can take alot of weight.
                  If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

Originally posted by rich
                    I'm also worried about the glass getting broken by one of the pooches.

I would be surprised if they break it by leaning on it
                    Yeah, I was thinking this, our Labs are usually to impatent to wait for the window to get all the way down, they usually launch themselves out the back as soon as there is enough room, the window seems make a good springboard!!
                    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
                    X