Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dashboard Christmas Decorations

Hi All,
    Just surfaced after Xmas and thought I'd throw this one at you.
    On the way up to the arctic circle (Surrey) for Xmas in Penelope, I was suddenly presented with my very own flashing Xmas lights on the dashboard. For no apparent reason the glow plug, timing belt and battery lights all decided to start flasing in unison. No problem I thought, must just be a loose connection somewhere. The funny thing was, after stopping a Fleet to ferret around under the bonnet and not finding anything obvious it didn't happen again until I joined the M23. As it doesn't seem to synchronise with the vibration (more with accelerator pressure), only happens when the engine is well and truly warmed up, is more persistent when going uphill and seems to stop when going downhill with my foot off the accelerator the next thought was a loose cable coming up against something hot. Have checked underneath and cannot find anything obviously adrift.
    Just wondered, before I start ripping the dashboard off, if anyone has ever encountered this before?
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][B][I][SIZE=3]When the going gets tough - Get out !!![/SIZE][/I][/B][/FONT]

Hi,

It wouldn't be anything gone awry with the immobiliser would it ?

My dash does the xmas tree if I don't start it within the immobiliser time limit.

Trev
    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Originally posted by UDTrev
      Hi,

It wouldn't be anything gone awry with the immobiliser would it ?

My dash does the xmas tree if I don't start it within the immobiliser time limit.

Trev
      Hi Trev,

Thanks for the thought but It doesn't seem to be as the immobiliser appears to be working normally and the lights all go out when you start the engine. It only happens after you've been driving for about half an hour. Although it was panic stations when it first happened, as the engine is running perfectly it is more of an irritation than anything else. Seems I'll have to get the screwdriver out!

Ken
      [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][B][I][SIZE=3]When the going gets tough - Get out !!![/SIZE][/I][/B][/FONT]

Comment

Check that the alternator is working ok and also the belt tension.

Comment

Agree with Andy, look at the alternator ( voltage regulator & diodes that are fitted )

I had a similar problem of the better halves Celica recently, local grease monkeys were blank faced, auto electrician wanted £ 300 : didn't say what for funnily.

So off to scrap yard, '91 Celica alternator £ 25 plus becoming wet & cold myself.
          Checked brushes : ok, then fitted it & he presto, it's now ok.

Old alternator when i stripped it had burnt out diodes.
          [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][COLOR=Magenta][SIZE=2][B]SEWERAT BOB[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=SeaGreen][I][COLOR=Lime][B]I just sit here & looks out to sea or if i'm really rushed then i just sits here & continues to look out to sea[/B][/COLOR][/I][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Dasboard Christmas Decorations

Andy,Sewerat,

Thanks for the feedback.
            Had a word yesterday with my man with a spanner and he thought it might be a wire rubbing somewhere (needle in a haystack?) but never mentioned the alternator as a possibility.
            That's what I like about this forum, personal experience.
            Will get my head back under the bonnet and try and look at both suggestions although, because of the way it happens, I think yours could be more likely as a rubbing wire should cause the fault all the time.
            As I said it's more of an irritation than a problem at the moment so it could be a while before I get back and let you know if I've solved it.

Ken

Comment

Originally posted by The Kid
              Andy,Sewerat,

Thanks for the feedback.
              Had a word yesterday with my man with a spanner and he thought it might be a wire rubbing somewhere (needle in a haystack?) but never mentioned the alternator as a possibility.
              That's what I like about this forum, personal experience.
              Will get my head back under the bonnet and try and look at both suggestions although, because of the way it happens, I think yours could be more likely as a rubbing wire should cause the fault all the time.
              As I said it's more of an irritation than a problem at the moment so it could be a while before I get back and let you know if I've solved it.

Ken
              Hi,

I've just been and had a quick look at the alternator and found that the wiring plug in the end seems to have been working it's way out. Have pushed it in about 1/4 inch or so. Wont know if this has cured it until I do another longish journey but am keeping fingers (among other things) crossed!
              Once again, thanks for the tip.

Ken

Comment

Working...
              X