New noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New noise

A new noise has developed on my Surf.It happens at speeds between 40 and just under 60 mph and sounds like a train(?)This only happens on certain road surfaces,a friend of mine reckons it could be the diff,any ideas?It is not a LSD,but did have LSD oil in when I bought it,prob drove around 5k with the wrong oil,dunno if dealer was to blame for this or whether it had the wrong oil before coming into UK.
    Last edited by RobD; 2 December 2004, 21:00.
    Powered by ????

Originally posted by RobD
    A new noise has developed on my Surf.It happens at speeds between 40 and just under 60 mph and sounds like a train(?)This only happens on certain road surfaces,a friend of mine reckons it could be the diff,any ideas?It is not a LSD,but did have LSD oil in when I bought it,prob drove around 5k with the wrong oil,dunno if dealer was to blame for this or whether it had the wrong oil before coming into UK.
    Which diff? What end is it coming from? If its triggered by road surface then more likely to be wheel bearing than diff I should have thought. If its diff or w/b it will probably go on for thousands of miles quite safely anyway - at least far enough to get bad enough for you to propeerly locate it and then hopefully fix.

Might possibly be tyres as they wear down too - esp if you have chunky ones.

Cheers

Kev

Comment

Originally posted by exmee46
      Which diff? What end is it coming from? If its triggered by road surface then more likely to be wheel bearing than diff I should have thought. If its diff or w/b it will probably go on for thousands of miles quite safely anyway - at least far enough to get bad enough for you to propeerly locate it and then hopefully fix.

Might possibly be tyres as they wear down too - esp if you have chunky ones.

Cheers

Kev
      Would the wheel become hot if the bearing was shot?If so it aint the wb.Cheers.