Am I being taken for a ride?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I being taken for a ride?

Thanks for the replies about the possible head gasket problem - the garage checking the Surf over have said they have tested for combustion gasses in the coolant and they are there, so it's likely the head gasket has blown - he says it seems unlikely that the head is cracked as there are no syptoms for this.

However, the only problem with the car seems to be that after I filled the coolant reservoir (to the Max mark, which I've now found is way too high) it drops back to the Min mark. It doesn't overheat, has no running probs etc.., no mayo in the oil, no steam in the exhaust.

Does it sound likely that the head gasket is blown, based only on this mysterious disappearance of coolant? The car seems to exhibit no other symptoms at all. I don't have the car now to check anything else as it's at the garage.

He's quoted me £344 all in, including a cambelt change - reasonable? It needs a cambelt change anyway.

Sorry for starting a new thread but I want to get this resolved ASAP.

Thanks
    James

Its more than likely the HEAD as the headgaskets dont seem to go. When they get the head off ask them to check for cracks between the valves.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by JimSuperSix
      Thanks for the replies about the possible head gasket problem - the garage checking the Surf over have said they have tested for combustion gasses in the coolant and they are there, so it's likely the head gasket has blown - he says it seems unlikely that the head is cracked as there are no syptoms for this.

However, the only problem with the car seems to be that after I filled the coolant reservoir (to the Max mark, which I've now found is way too high) it drops back to the Min mark. It doesn't overheat, has no running probs etc.., no mayo in the oil, no steam in the exhaust.

Does it sound likely that the head gasket is blown, based only on this mysterious disappearance of coolant? The car seems to exhibit no other symptoms at all. I don't have the car now to check anything else as it's at the garage.

He's quoted me £344 all in, including a cambelt change - reasonable? It needs a cambelt change anyway.

Thanks
      James
      Don't assume that with a cracked head you get the normal steam sauna, mayo oil, etc etc. When my head went I had no symptons other than it overflowed coolant out the expansion bottle and the mpg suffered a bit, temp needle never moved.
      If you mechanic says theres gases in the coolant then I would 99.99% say the head has gone.
      As said check the head very closely for cracks when its off, they may be small but they will be there.
      Before they buy you a new head ask on here as it may be cheaper for you to purchase the head and get them to fit it. If they have never worked on Surfs before I would see if you can find someone who has. Turbo vacuum hoses the glow plug set up all gets put back wrong by most, not a huge problem in itself just more of a pain.
      Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
      My choice
      Back off

Comment

hmm, so if the car shows no symptoms of head failure other than fumes in the coolant there seems to be no reason to replace the head just yet until it develops a proper problem and breaks down?

It just gets used to go to work a every now and then and I shall be towing my kitcar on a trailer to the odd trackday, so I might as well wait and see what happens.

If the head does eventually show signs of being knackered, I seem to recall reading that there are 2 different heads (new and recon?) and that a new head was the best choice as it's of a different design and less prone to cracking again - is that right? I seem to remember also seeing something about a complete new head + valves etc.. ready to fit at about £800 (poss +vat also) - anyone know where that was from?

Comment

UK Cylinder Heads I think.
          It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
            UK Cylinder Heads I think.
            www.ukcylinderheads.co.uk

Comment

STEVO is also supplying full head & bare heads to us guys at a lower price.
              (\__/)
              (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
              (")_(")

Comment

Thanks
                James
                We've run our 2.4 for ages with a small crack (cracks!), it doesn't smoke, just pumps all the coolant out over time, check it every day and it'll usually be OK.

Most blown gasket/ cracked head problems will fill the header tank as the combustion gasses over pressure the cooing system, pushing past the rad cap and then pushing all the coolant out via the header tank overflow. Then it over heats and cracks the head properly

More serious cracks will fill the cylinder with water, which cause damage if the motor starts then hydrolocks, but usually they won't turn on the key if there is water in the bore. A few people have damage to the top of the block after gasket/cracked head, meaning relining the block or a new one. But I think its not that common.

The surf head rarely cracks anywhere else, normally from the combustion chamber out, to the water jacket.

This is my opinion on the head/gasket issue......

The only official mention of overheating Surfs is crappy head gaskets, that wern't up to the job when Toyota stuck a turbo on the 2.4L motor. this combined with the fact that 2.4 head crack easily when they get hot, means anytime a head gasket fails it will pump all the coolant out till there is no enough left to cool the motor, then it overheats too quickly to notice as the temp gauge won't move till nearly all the water is gone. Then the head cracks cos its got hot.

The redesigned head is still needed as you could rebuild the motor just fine, but anytime it gets hot, the old style head will crack again.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks for all your replies and info - it's good to know cylinder heads are available - if my Surf develops a problem I shall enquire about a new head plus valves etc.. with Stevo.

Apart from worrying me a bit over the last few days I love my Surf - I love the feeling of 'going so slow it doesn't matter' - for some reason the complete lack of speed is very refeshing and liberating. Added to that if you get tailgated (which is unfortunately unavoidable these days) it doesn't matter as you just can't see the car if it's too close.

Thanks once again to all for your help.
                  James

Comment

Thanks for all your replies and info - it's good to know cylinder heads are available - if my Surf develops a problem I shall enquire about a new head plus valves etc.. with Stevo.

Apart from worrying me a bit over the last few days I love my Surf - I love the feeling of 'going so slow it doesn't matter' - for some reason the complete lack of speed is very refeshing and liberating. Added to that if you get tailgated (which is unfortunately unavoidable these days) it doesn't matter as you just can't see the car if it's too close.

Thanks once again to all for your help.
                    James
                    Plus with a great big heavy towbar you just know the myopic idiot is gonna smash his own car to bits before your surf even gets a scratch!
                    ...Woodie http://woodie.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/D...%20Surfsml.JPG

Comment

heh - that huge towbar certainly makes the thing feel tougher - the pickup I had with no bar felt a bit exposed at the rear end. Also, I know bullbars aren't very PC today but they do look good, especially from inside the car with that big Hilus thingy on them - gives the front a certain squareness that I really like.

Comment

Working...
                      X