Update on my tapping noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

knocking

Ive just noticed a knocking noise, its like a ticking noise, not sure if its just a noisy tappet or something more serious. any ideas on how to check?

Comment

Originally posted by Vin
      Ive just noticed a knocking noise, its like a ticking noise, not sure if its just a noisy tappet or something more serious. any ideas on how to check?
      Try and locate it to top or bottom of the engine. It could be big ends or tappets or even an exhaust manifold leak. Only way to prove the tappets really is to take off the rocker cover and check the clearances. If you aren't confident then I would suggest taking it to a garage that you trust.

Cheers

Comment

i have had a head change seemed to knock a bit and when off with revs then drove for a bit and eventually it gave a code 12 and the disel knock was real bad but still went off with revs replaced timer control valve and so far all is ok (he says touching wood real fast) so not sure but it could well be that your timer control valve is on its way out
        if aint gone pop yet chances are it will

Comment

I know old but current

Originally posted by lucky View Post
          Well it's all back together and running well, sounds really sweet.

Put it back together, disconnected the fuel shutoff and turned it over a few times, got some oil pressure, reconnected the fuel shutoff, turned it over started first turn.

Lot more diesel knock on tickover (like it should be) but absolutely no knock on reving or the overrun. Sounds like the new injectors have worked a treat.

Glad it's done now. Worst job was putting the diff back in, it's damn heavy when there is no space and you can't get the jack under it until you got it half way in position. Still it's fixed and I'm happy.

Think I might have a few airlocks to get rid of but that's a job for tomorrow.

Cheers
          hi from what you have put "Lot more diesel knock on tickover (like it should be)" are you saying that when these are running best it should be like that as I have just got mine to start great hot or cold, drive at speed with out boost on all the time but at the sacrifice of more diesel knock on tick over? is that ok? cheers
          NO MORE MR NICE GUY!

Comment

Working...
          X