Overheating advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overheating advice needed

Had a bit of a scare on holiday last week when the girl started to overheat (didn't hit the red). After walking the dogs added 3 litres of water and ran her with no more problems. Came home from North Yorkshire Friday, after 300 miles and doing a 5 mile detour to walk the dogs she goes all hot again, and throws out about 4 litres of water into the expansion chamber. Thank fully I carry water for the dogs, so after walking them what they didn't drink the girl got, and drove her home with no problems. On examination the rubber on the water cap was a bit worn and flaky, and I remember once when my sisters mini cap malfunctioned under pressure and dumped the coolant on the curb. So I've got a cap from the scrappy and am hoping that this cures the problem. If anyone has any other ideas I'm listerning. Oh according to the haynes manual it the top radiator hose gets hot the thermostat is opening and mine is, so I've knocked that posibility off the list (unless adviced otherwise).
    Many Thanks
    Duane
    Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Hi Duane,
    Had the same on my 91 2.4td. was the termostat,I'm now on my
    third one.
    They are cheap enough and easy to change even just to eliminate
    it out of the picture.
    Keep us updated.
    Cheers Chris
    GOT NO COWBOYS HERE?

Comment

heated up

4 litres!, thats nearly all the water the engine holds, I think I would start saving up, bad news I know, but just being honest, my head went last week after owning it for 14 months, great car cant fault it, have just fitted a new head, but now going to be selling, I know I must be mad, but gonna migrate onto a land cruiser 4.5
      please don't say, "don't do it" but made up my mind, I will still look everyday in the group as all are good helpfull guys here.
      so if anyone is interested in a really good surf 2.4 with a genuine Toyota head, with new timing belt and all done properly and not rushed, give me a bell.

Comment

No need to save up yet as the head has not gone (yet), I've had the joyfull experiance of doing a head in beautifully on a BMW (bye bye bank balance). Basically I need to permanently cure it before the head goes pop.
        Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick
          No need to save up yet as the head has not gone (yet), I've had the joyfull experiance of doing a head in beautifully on a BMW (bye bye bank balance). Basically I need to permanently cure it before the head goes pop.

I would start from basics, drain and flush system. Add a flushing agent and give it a real good blast through all the hoses you can disconnect.
          Change stat & cap, get new from Milners or the like, make sure all the air is out and both heaters set to hot before draining and flushing.
          Also check hose to expansion bottle, make sure its not perforated, will allow coolant out but won't suck it back in if its got a hole in it.

In my experience if its the head they tend to chuck the coolant out all the time once they crack, not intermittently.
          Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
          My choice
          Back off

Comment

Head probs

Looking into probs with the 2.4 surf in the last year, there is only one deep down prob with the power unit, the head! if in anyway that your surf starts to overhaet or show syptoms of overheating, well it be bubbling, dirty coolant, gurgling, coolant usage, however small. your in for trouble, wether it be now or in a few weeks or a few months at the most, look out for a new head replacement.
            I think Toyota leaked out "in a very good way" that there is a problem with a certain few 2.4 heads, after looking into the head problem, I would say it was all, 2.4 heads, they just said that to save face, because all in all, Toyota are the best in reliability in the motor industry, they just cocked up in the manufacture of the 2.4 head.

Comment

About 4 months after I'd had my head done (the trucks, the other one's still faulty) it started playing up with the same symptoms you're describing. After I'd finished the initial panic I noticed the rubber on the pressure cap was split. One new pressure cap and a lot of miles (on & off road) later she's still fine.

In the wise words of Hitchhikers, DON'T PANIC
              Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

i know i'm always saying this, but , make sure your viscous fan is working correctly, an overheated engine is certainly not good news for an alloy head, especially a head with a history of being fragile.
                [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

Originally posted by snowwolf
                  4 litres!, thats nearly all the water the engine holds, I think I would start saving up, bad news I know, but just being honest, my head went last week after owning it for 14 months, great car cant fault it, have just fitted a new head, but now going to be selling, I know I must be mad, but gonna migrate onto a land cruiser 4.5
                  please don't say, "don't do it" but made up my mind, I will still look everyday in the group as all are good helpfull guys here.
                  so if anyone is interested in a really good surf 2.4 with a genuine Toyota head, with new timing belt and all done properly and not rushed, give me a bell.
                  I'm going to say it anyway, "Don't Do It". If you are going to get an LC, go for the Oil Burner - get a 4.2TD, Great engine, loads of Torque (much more than the Petrol one) and up to 30MPG on a run, not the horrendous consumption on the 4.5 petrol (which has a great engine but only when fuel is at middle east or US prices).

Cheers

Comment

Lc

Words of wisdom Lucky, you are right, I think I will go and have a drive of this 4.5 today and just see what the LC are like, never been in one before and its very local, but will look for a 4.2 diesel like you say, it does make sense. cheers mate.

Comment

Originally posted by snowwolf
                      Words of wisdom Lucky, you are right, I think I will go and have a drive of this 4.5 today and just see what the LC are like, never been in one before and its very local, but will look for a 4.2 diesel like you say, it does make sense. cheers mate.

My 'work' vehicle is a 4.2VX diesel Landcruiser. It has done 205,000miles, mostly off-road, a huge amount of towing heavy cattle floats and is regularly up to it's ass in mud and is still going strong. It is reasonable on fuel for a vehicle this size and the work it has to do but I would be bankrupt if I had used a 4.5 petrol one for the past 14 years!

Comment

Ran last week on the scrappy radiator cap with no problems, but ordered the stat and new cap anyway. Have just spent today flushing and cleaning the system, water had a little rust in it but didn't take long to clear. I have now refilled her and fitted the new stat and cap, can only wait and see.

Still no water in the oil, lose of oil pressure, clouds of white smoke from exhaust, or loss of engine power, so fingers crossed I got away with it.

Thanks for the advice
                        Duane

P.S. Only had to make two calls to my Dad, I might just learn how to repair cars yet!!
                        Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Working...
                        X