Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4WD Not Working????

Hi There,

I have recently bought a 1993 LN130 2.4td Surf, and love it. The only problem seems to be I keep getting stuck in the muddy stuff. When putting it in 4WD High by pressing the button, the light on the dashboard appears and you can hear a clunk from below. The problem is that the rear tyres even in 4wd spin and the front don't seem to do anything. Does more power go to the back wheels regardless? The same happens in 4L, but the gearing does change.

Any info would be great on this one, as I want to go green laning, but don't fancy it in 2wd.

Jez
    Jez

Originally posted by Jezware
    Hi There,

I have recently bought a 1993 LN130 2.4td Surf, and love it. The only problem seems to be I keep getting stuck in the muddy stuff. When putting it in 4WD High by pressing the button, the light on the dashboard appears and you can hear a clunk from below. The problem is that the rear tyres even in 4wd spin and the front don't seem to do anything. Does more power go to the back wheels regardless? The same happens in 4L, but the gearing does change.

Any info would be great on this one, as I want to go green laning, but don't fancy it in 2wd.

Jez
    Jez.

The only sure way to test is to get the car up on axle stands all round or a ramp better still, put it in 4wd and see if all 4 wheel go round. Power should be evenly distributed front and back, there is no central diff so no facility for an uneven torque split. It sounds like maybe the Automatic disconnecting differential is maybe not working however normally if this is the case the light won't come on as it is activated by the ADD collar engaging in the diff.

If you get all 4 wheels off the ground you may find that only one wheel turns on each axle, this is because the differentials will be working, if the diffs are a bit sticky (oil thick etc) both wheels will turn. Either way if at least one wheel turns on the front when in gear then the ADD is working.

Only other thing I've just thought, you don't have manual disconnecting hubs on the front (you will see a thing to turn on them and they may be labelled Warn or Aisin). If these are fitted then you need to turn them to engage drive to the front. These are a popular aftermarket fitment as they help reduce wear on the front.

Cheers

Comment

Thanks for your help, got the car up on axle stands and checked it over. The ADD is working fine, I found that the offside driveshaft was spinning loosely in the CV joint, and that seems to be why there is no drive at the front. Could anybody recommend a good place for parts. It looks like i'm gonna need a new driveshaft and CV joint to get it all working again.
      Any info would be great.

Cheers

Jez
      Jez

Comment

Originally posted by Jezware
        Thanks for your help, got the car up on axle stands and checked it over. The ADD is working fine, I found that the offside driveshaft was spinning loosely in the CV joint, and that seems to be why there is no drive at the front. Could anybody recommend a good place for parts. It looks like i'm gonna need a new driveshaft and CV joint to get it all working again.
        Any info would be great.

Cheers

Jez
        Jez.

www.milneroffroad.co.uk (Milners) or www.toyotahilux.com (Roughtrax) should be able to sort you out.

I would be interested to find out what is wrong, sounds like it's knackered the splines which I have never heard of before.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
        X