Engine exhaust(?) and Turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine exhaust(?) and Turbo

Hello to all of you. I must say this is a great site, especially for the hilux surf owners. Thanks must be given to Koi and certainly - the Godfather.

Nways, come to the point. I have a bluedevil (actually Navy) ssr-x 95 TD, Recently I had some probles with this beauty and went to the workshop. Shes on 94,000 km. Along with the other repairs, there is a pipe coming from the engine which goes back to the turbo (they say it recycles engine air through the turbo and allows for the engine to breathe!!!), they took it out from the turbo and extended the pipe with an open end. Their opinion is - engine gas mixed with engine oil - coming through this pipe will lower the turbo performance. Now, the pipe expells a lot of engine oil. After my recent change of oil, It drank another 4 liters of oil for just 2,000 km. Please also advise me on engine oil. The recommended is probably 10W-30 for 5000 km. But we dont have 10W-30, so I used mobil delvac multigrade 15W-40 ..... (its new in the market, the earlier diesel special from mobil in no more).... I don't care about brand or price.. I need a good suitable engine oil that will keep my beauty soft enough to thrill... I have more. . but for now I think it is more that enough. .... Answers please...

nb: please pardon me for the non-technical talking...as you know.. I am a newborn newbie...
    Last edited by BlueDevil; 26 October 2004, 13:17. Reason: colors...

Originally posted by BlueDevil
    Hello to all of you. I must say this is a great site, especially for the hilux surf owners. Thanks must be given to Koi and certainly - the Godfather.

Nways, come to the point. I have a bluedevil (actually Navy) ssr-x 95 TD, Recently I had some probles with this beauty and went to the workshop. Shes on 94,000 km. Along with the other repairs, there is a pipe coming from the engine which goes back to the turbo (they say it recycles engine air through the turbo and allows for the engine to breathe!!!), they took it out from the turbo and extended the pipe with an open end. Their opinion is - engine gas mixed with engine oil - coming through this pipe will lower the turbo performance. Now, the pipe expells a lot of engine oil. After my recent change of oil, It drank another 4 liters of oil for just 2,000 km. Please also advise me on engine oil. The recommended is probably 10W-30 for 5000 km. But we dont have 10W-30, so I used mobil delvac multigrade 15W-40 ..... (its new in the market, the earlier diesel special from mobil in no more).... I don't care about brand or price.. I need a good suitable engine oil that will keep my beauty soft enough to thrill... I have more. . but for now I think it is more that enough. .... Answers please...

nb: please pardon me for the non-technical talking...as you know.. I am a newborn newbie...
    Can you take a picture of it, the Surf has so many pipes underneath the bonnet that it is difficult to know which one you are referring to.

Whatever it is, it sounds totally wrong and may have been done to reduce smoke - indtroducing engine oil into the turbo that it will burn will cause blue smoke from the back.

I use Castrol GTD Magnated, however as long as you change the oil at the recommended intervals then any oil designed for a Turbo Diesel should work just as well. Make sure it is Turbo Diesel oil as normal Diesel lubricant can't handle the temperatures in the Turbo and will act like a varnish when it burns and block up all the oilways.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
      Can you take a picture of it, the Surf has so many pipes underneath the bonnet that it is difficult to know which one you are referring to.

Whatever it is, it sounds totally wrong and may have been done to reduce smoke - indtroducing engine oil into the turbo that it will burn will cause blue smoke from the back.

I use Castrol GTD Magnated, however as long as you change the oil at the recommended intervals then any oil designed for a Turbo Diesel should work just as well. Make sure it is Turbo Diesel oil as normal Diesel lubricant can't handle the temperatures in the Turbo and will act like a varnish when it burns and block up all the oilways.

Cheers
      hmmm pic would really help, but the only pipe i can think of is the breather pipe and if it is that then it is most certainly not right.
      Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
      My choice
      Back off

Comment

Working...
      X