An engine overhaul?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An engine overhaul?

I have a 1991, 2.4d, Auto trans, LN 130 which has clocked 92,000km.

Lately I have discovered that I have to top-up oil quite often. No overheating. Oil pressure is sometimes above L or on the mark. Also I notice that it is blowing just before the silencer.

A friend tells me that I may be need to do an overhaul as these engines rarely go beyond 100,000km.

Advise if this is so ... I've had the surf for under 4 months.

Remo

Originally posted by Remo

I have a 1991, 2.4d, Auto trans, LN 130 which has clocked 92,000km.

Lately I have discovered that I have to top-up oil quite often. No overheating. Oil pressure is sometimes above L or on the mark. Also I notice that it is blowing just before the silencer.

A friend tells me that I may be need to do an overhaul as these engines rarely go beyond 100,000km.

Advise if this is so ... I've had the surf for under 4 months.

Remo
    Is it burning oil or leaking - blue smoke if it is burning. It's rubbish to say that these engines rarely go over 100K, it's not an uncommon thing for them to go 2 or three times round the clock without any attention apart from regular servicing. The occasional head crack not withstanding these engines are built extremely well and have a very long life. Probably why they have been so popular for so many years in slightly more rural parts of the world (Africa, Latin America etc).

How much oil are you having to top up and when you say regularly - how regular are we talking here. It's not unknown for them to burn oil.

Generally, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it keeps on running, let it run.

Cheers

Comment

almost every diesel car on the planet will do 100k(kms) twice with no issues if serviced well. Im looking at getting a surf with around 160000kms on
      Tim
      Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Thanks for reassuring me.

I fixed the leaks in the exhaust pipe and noticed she is pulling with abit of power.

I top up 500ml after 1,000km.

Remo

Comment

Working...
        X