Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• air con fan?

Hi y'all

Having just had a rad flush and some rad relief put in at the garage, I drove about 30 miles home and parked up for 15 mins. When I turned on the ignition again (without starting up) the small fan in front of the radiator (air con?) started up. Switched off and tried again and it didn't come on this time. The temp guage was just below half and nothing seemed hotter than normal. When cold next morning I had to add a small amount of water to the radiator. No more water has been needed since. Is this normal for the fan to kick in as I have worked my Surf harder and hotter than this and it hasn't done anything before.

hm

answer with a question r u sure its not a cooling fan most 2.4 have air con underneath wilst only a few have it behind grill .reason i,m asking is if u restart a surf whilst still warm the engine cooling fan(electric) does come on for a few secs . its a safety thing
    I,LL GO FIRST NO PROB
    (i also juggle dynamite)

Comment

Yes the FAN in front of the radiator is for cooling and is not aircon fan
      (\__/)
      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
      (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
        Yes the FAN in front of the radiator is for cooling and is not aircon fan
        It's the AC fan on mine.

Neville

Comment

Looking at the wiring diagrams, the front fan relay is worked from the aircon pressure switch. Leading me to believe its for the aircon system, or to help loose heat in the main rad when the aircon is on.
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Yeah, the fan in front of the rad behind the grill on mine is the A/C fan (I have no electric cooling fan and no fans underneath). Not sure when it is meant to come on/off though - does not come on with the A/C so I assume it must be indepentently thermostatically controlled??? When my radiator was red-hot recently the A/C rad was totally cool and the fan was off.
            No longer a Surf owner.

Comment

Stimpy, I think that's it. It was just on for a few seconds. Looks like the AC underneath - I'm just pleased that the fan actually works!
              Last edited by jax; 10 October 2004, 12:47.

Comment

Originally posted by jax
                Stimpy, I think that's it. It was just on for a few seconds. Looks like the AC underneath - I'm just pleased that the fan actually works!
                Only time I notice mine kick in is when I am towing. Nice to know it is there!
                It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                  Looking at the wiring diagrams, the front fan relay is worked from the aircon pressure switch. Leading me to believe its for the aircon system, or to help loose heat in the main rad when the aircon is on.
                  Tony you are right ( as usual )
                  From what I could figure the fan is there for the AC and for additional cooling as required. It is also controlled from the Thermo fan sensor in the T-stat housing. I just replaced mine as it was kaput.
                  It only seems to come on when I start it after has been parked for a few minutes after a good run.
                  So in summary it is good that your fan works!! Be Happy
                  Simon.O.
                  '90 SSR Ltd 2.4TD 5 spd

Comment

Working...
                  X