Another silly question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another silly question

my Surf had a new head &turbo , obviously overheated and cracked head , ive read about VISCOSE fans (i think thats right) on this site and they may stop it overheating again and cause me to spend a fortune on a 16 year old car again What is a viscose fan ? and will it make any difference?
    Cheers
    DA
    ps Has anybody got the e-mail address for Milners/
    Cheers

The info below was posted by a member a while ago. Have a search under viscous fans in the search option above. Hope this helps a little?

The principal of the viscoius fan is that as the engine gets hotter the air flowing over the viscoius coupling warms the bi-metalic spring in the coupling and the oil inside begins to 'lock' the fan to the coupling . This gives the roar sound upon revving . As the fan cools the engine due to drawing more air through the rad it 'unlocks' the coupling . The cooling fan should NEVER fully lock or be locked as the fan can shatter as they are generally larger then the old fixed fans used before . Also the air drawn through is more then a fixed fan as the coupling will allow to slip at high revs . The cooling fan on cars is only of use up to 30-35 mph , after that normal 'ram air' effect is used by the speed of the vehicle naturally forcing air through the rad .
    Thats wot I learnt in my apprenticeship and thats how I understand it !

Rick[/QUOTE]
    Andy (the girly)
    What YOU want something THAT big for???!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DEREK ALLAN
      my Surf had a new head &turbo , obviously overheated and cracked head , ive read about VISCOSE fans (i think thats right) on this site and they may stop it overheating again and cause me to spend a fortune on a 16 year old car again What is a viscose fan ? and will it make any difference?
      Cheers
      DA
      ps Has anybody got the e-mail address for Milners/
      Cheers
      Unless someone has changed the original fan for an electric version then you allready have one.

Neville

Comment

Working...
      X