91 surf 2.4td power loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 91 surf 2.4td power loss

I have a 91 2.4 turbo diesel surf with a power loss at low revs , its been in a toyota workshop for 2 weeks and they have checked almost everything it could be , they have done a diagnostics and that came up with a faulty crank angle sensor which they replaced , they tested the turbo , the trans , done a compression test which came back excellent , yet on take off it is like a snail , but once the motor gets to 2k revs it runs normaly , its really starting to do my head in , if someone has had a problem like this and was able to fix the problem I would be over the moon for insight on how to fix it .

Have the injectors been cleaned/checked, a small blockage or wear could cause them to not spray properly, would be a problem at lower revs as its only 'dripping' a small amount of diesel and works better at higher revs as more fuel is being pumped through harder and vapourised properly.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I had the injectors cleaned by a marine diesel engineer but that same guy left half of his tools in my engine bay , I found them when I got home and checked under the hood , and Im sure the mechanics at toyota checked them out and they seemed ok , any other clues ?

Comment

Originally posted by KiwiSurf
        I had the injectors cleaned by a marine diesel engineer but that same guy left half of his tools in my engine bay , I found them when I got home and checked under the hood , and Im sure the mechanics at toyota checked them out and they seemed ok , any other clues ?
        I check all the small pipework to the induction area (loads of pipes not just the ones to the EGR. Check the clips around the inlet pipe to the Turbo and the pipe back from the Turbo to the throttle unit. sounds like you may have an air leak. When does your Turbo cut in under load. Mine kicks in about 1600 RPM under load but only at 4000 reving the engine while standing still.

When I replaced my Cylinder head I got the small pipes connected wrong and the Turbo wouldn't cut in at all. It's surprising what a problem these little pipes can cause if you get them wrong. It really sounds like you have an air leak on the inlet side. If the engine is not getting enough air then you will really notice the lack of power. Also check the Air filter and the air feed to the air filter unit. Might be blocked. You can often find that an air leak or blockage can actually go away when the engine reaches higher revs as the increased suction manages to overcome the blockage or leak.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by KiwiSurf
          I have a 91 2.4 turbo diesel surf with a power loss at low revs , its been in a toyota workshop for 2 weeks and they have checked almost everything it could be , they have done a diagnostics and that came up with a faulty crank angle sensor which they replaced , they tested the turbo , the trans , done a compression test which came back excellent , yet on take off it is like a snail , but once the motor gets to 2k revs it runs normaly , its really starting to do my head in , if someone has had a problem like this and was able to fix the problem I would be over the moon for insight on how to fix it .

Alow me to help here i assume its the efi 2LTE engine if it is toyota have robbed you for a crank sensor as the only books they have is for the 2l and 2lt they do not list the fault codes for the 2lte which are different i will bet they got a code 12 when they did a daignostic which only involves 1 wire and 5 mins to get the code then they look in the book and it says crank position sensor i know cos my brother works in a main toyota dealership and he looked for me and got the same thing i found a list on here of the codes and i can tell you a code 12 is timer control valve on the injector pump cause mine went the same way i replaced it and what do you know it works i also had a very loud diesel knock, i have heard that people have had a code 12 from a cloged fuel filter also check that first
          if aint gone pop yet chances are it will

Comment

I gotta say that it does sound like a fuel timimg problem, engine running too retarded at low revs.

If it is a 2LTE then they should look at the engine manual for the 2.4TD Landcruiser 2 which was a UK car and used the 2LTE engine.

Cheers

Comment

I have this same problem with my 91 2.4 turbo surf. During take off it acts like no power at all and after a few revs it suddenly finds the power. I guess I will check for the air leaks, I doń´t know what else I can see since the mechanic has had a look at everything else.

Comment

Hey Guys i have the same problem currently.have checked all pipes, no air leak. About to change fuel filter and see if that makes a difference.If any 1 has sorted this prob on thiers then let us know.ps mine is mainly lacking power when i change up into 2nd gear. Just feels like it wants to stall but eventually grabs and goes

Comment

All of the vacume hose's on my 2.4 2LT don't do much.. so I removed thim all.
                  Idle up for air con.. not needed
                  Butterfly valve on intake... not needed
                  I chucked all the EGR stuff away too...and blanked off the holes.

now I've simplified it, I know what it does.
                  The only hose I have is an overfuel hose, for when the turbo cuts in..
                  and the 4*4 engage hose.

What I'd like to say is that without my overfuel hose connected.. It runs
                  fine.. quite driveable.. but you do notice however that the 'boost' will not come in.

This does'nt seem to me, to be what is happening to you, also if you had a fuel restriction problem, It would get worse, not better above 2000 RPM on the road.

It is my opinion that 4 injectors could not fail at once (I'm assuming it runs smoothly, and on all 4 cylinders) 4 faulty injectors usually only occur as a result of water damage. BUT still they must be checked. I suppose the quickest way is to remove them your self and get them tested at a diesel shop. you don't want to hear this bit but if they are ok... you are gonna have to 'mark your pump' and remove it and have it checked.

It's a pity you cant monitor the discharge from the spill rail for air, and also volume as you are driving.. this would discount a fuel problem...

Ahh that reminds me... a quick check to test if you have blockage in the tank pickup... undo the fuel output of the filter and see how well it can draw fuel though by pumping the top.. it should gush out quite readily...

also.. as these engines are self bleeding (of air) they can suck quite a bit of air though a loose fitting and still run ok.... only when the air becomes exessive does it start effecting operation... usually at higher RPM under load though....so make sure your fuel fitting's are not loose all the way to the injetor pump....

another possibility... befor you mess about with the injectors and injector pump...
                  To check that the fuel lift pump is working properly.... at idle speed loosen the supply rail from the lift pump to the injector pump... as you loosen, fuel should spurt out (quite a lot.. or 'ample')
                  If only a dribble come's out, it is being starved
                  If the lift pump is beginning to fail.. it could well be not delivering enough fuel at lower RPM's...

So to recapp.
                  Befor you do anything expensive.. be absolutely sure you have good fuel to the actual injector pump it's self... (not the lift pump)
                  Even if this means rigging a gravity fed milk bottle full of diesel directly to the injector pump fuel feed..
                  If this jury rig fixes your car - then you know the lift pump's pack'd in.

Iv'e never had this paticular problem on this paticular motor, and these are just some ideas.. as to what might be the cause..
                  let us know how you are doing..

Comment

still no solution

hey thanks for the info robert. I thought about it a bit more and came to same conclusion that if it was fuel blockage it would get worse not better. Have changed fuel filter and put thru a bottle of injector cleaner and no great change in performance.will get in there and have a good look at lift pump as you mentioned, hopefully over the easter break and see what i come up with. Also i have now dissconected my egr.

Comment

Originally posted by KiwiSurf View Post
                      I'm having the same problem aswell I got a 2.5inch exhaust brand new put on removed egr turned up the diesel pump still slow and slow up hills aswell

Comment

Working...
                      X