Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dumping coolant

Hi All
    Looks like the normal 2.4 glitch has caught up with me.

Had the surf for about 18 months and the cooling system has always been temperamenatl to say the least. It started dumping about .5 to 1ltr of coolant into the expansion tank for no apparent reason. Went through all the usual checks - t/stat, rad (re cored) pressure cap etc. Even removed the water pump to see if it was ok. This went on for a few months, the engine started and performed faultlessly. Yesterday it let go big style - gauge shot into the red, coolant all over the road and left front wheel, wing and windscreeen!!!
    Am in the process of removing the head at present. Couple of questions:

I saw a thread on here saying that a guy had 2 liners replaced - from that I assume that 2.4s have wet liners and not conventional bores ?

Anyone on here used a milner cylinder head and gasket set etc ? are they ok or not ?

Any help would be welcome. Cheers

Eddy

Originally posted by Buckle
    Hi All
    Looks like the normal 2.4 glitch has caught up with me.

Had the surf for about 18 months and the cooling system has always been temperamenatl to say the least. It started dumping about .5 to 1ltr of coolant into the expansion tank for no apparent reason. Went through all the usual checks - t/stat, rad (re cored) pressure cap etc. Even removed the water pump to see if it was ok. This went on for a few months, the engine started and performed faultlessly. Yesterday it let go big style - gauge shot into the red, coolant all over the road and left front wheel, wing and windscreeen!!!
    Am in the process of removing the head at present. Couple of questions:

I saw a thread on here saying that a guy had 2 liners replaced - from that I assume that 2.4s have wet liners and not conventional bores ?

Anyone on here used a milner cylinder head and gasket set etc ? are they ok or not ?

Any help would be welcome. Cheers

Eddy
    Never used the milner stuff when I did mine, I used uk cylinder heads mainly because the head came complete ready to bolt on. They stock genuine Toyota gasket sets as well.
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

The 2.4 has liners that can be replaced! As you have had a problem for a while you may see some corrosion above the ring line on the barrels this is not as bad as it looks. The liners are replaced in house rather than DIY
      (\__/)
      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
      (")_(")

Comment

Working...
      X