Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Brakes - The dreaded MOT time!

Hiya folks!
    A little bit of advice here if I could ask please. My Surf just failed on the rear brakes and I need to get it back to the garage tomorrow to avoid having to pay for the MOT again (10 days are up). Basically the Parking brake cable had worn away, the front one from the lever. So, I replaced it yesterday with a new one. The MOT report also stated that the rear brake was imbalanced and the NS one was considerably under prerforming.

My question is - as far as I remember the Parking brake is what adjusts the rear brakes isn't it? Could the whole situation be remedied by the replacement of the cable? I've got 2 new rear wheel cylinders and I can do them but am I wasting my time possibly? The rear shoes and I think drums were replaced not too many miles ago....

Many thanks for any thoughts.

Best thing you can do is get the rear hubs off and clean up and adjust the brakes. The handbrake does cause the self adjusters to operate, but if set up was poor in the first place, or if the handrake has been sticking on ,on one side, causing uneven shoe war, operating the handbrake wont fix anything
    Сви можемо

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I've just replaced the wheel cylinders this afternoon and shortly about to bleed the system. How do I adjust the brakes?

Comment

Originally posted by Tonka View Post
        Thanks for the advice. I've just replaced the wheel cylinders this afternoon and shortly about to bleed the system. How do I adjust the brakes?
        Have a look on you tube, lots of videos. Heres one example,

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=yo...TF-8#kpvalbx=1
        Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus View Post
          Have a look on you tube, lots of videos. Heres one example,

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=yo...TF-8#kpvalbx=1
          Thanks, I hadn't really realised how non-specific to Surfs these adjustments were. Feel a little stoopid right now as I'd been searching YouTube for Surf rear brakes!

Rain stopped play today so I'll get back to it tomorrow, my plan is to bleed the brakes, check the adjustment on the drums and then check the adjustment on the parking brake cable.

Comment

Yup, drum brakes are drum brakes and havent change much in forever, regardless of vehicle
            Сви можемо

Comment

NO a handbrake cable will not solve this problem, alone......
              I'd do as Bogus suggests n forget ya handbrake cable until ya fix n adjust ya rear brakes...

16+ Years of Surfs n 9 years on Spotless it ain't but Faultless to a "T" is my KZN 130 Yota !!
              Buncefield Burner

Comment

Working...
              X