Rear window channel removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear window channel removal

Has anybody had to replace the rear window channel on their surf. I'm talking about the ones at the bottom of the window that the lift rollers slide along. One of mine is virtually non exist and and I was curious how hard they are to get off and replace?

This reply is probably a little late for you but I have recently successfully replaced both channels on my back window.
    Firstly, take a measurement from the edge of the glass to each channel and make a note of it as well as noting which channel is which side as they are different.
    I tried many methods to remove these with little success, in the end I used a small angle grinder with a cutting disc.
    I cut down the length on one side of each channel, not right through, and then bent the edge gently until it fractured and came off. The remains of the channel can then be pulled off. Make sure you do not heat the channel too much as the glass could fracture.
    These channels are only a press fit, no adhesive, but with the rubber insert they do not give up easily.
    It is not easy either to fit the replacements. I had some luck using large woodworking clamps that were the width of the glass, top to bottom, to press the channels on as well as some careful use of a wooden mallet. It helps to use some French chalk or a rubber lubricant in the channel rubber first as well as heating the channel either with a hot air gun or in a low oven.
    The Toyota parts numbers are:
    69971-89104 FILLER, BACK DOOR GLASS CHANNEL x 2off (Rubber Insert)
    CHANNEL SUB-ASSY, BACK DOOR GLASS
    69907-89103 Right Hand (Steel Channel) x 1off
    69907-89104 Left Hand (Steel Channel) x 1off
    I wish you luck!

Comment

Working...
    X