2.4 Engine stopped.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.4 Engine stopped.

Help Guys! My Surf, started getting difficult to start, had to be turned over twice. Last Saturday noticed black smoke from exhaust, and car just rolled to a gentle stop. T&Ps all good, no overheating, fueled up, turns over but just wont start and if it does soon stops if no gas applied. Garage trying to tell me head gasket probs, but done in April, anyway symptons not as you would expect for gasket. Any takers?

Thanks for all your helpful replies. Turns out after compression test, head leaking everywhere. Cracked head and Head gasket blown. Mega cost to repair but all done now.
    Last edited by Hawkmaster; 13 November 2004, 20:00.

What year is it? if you are EFI, you can pull the diagnostic codes and see if anything is wrong.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

crack off an injector pipe and make sure fuel is getting through (should squirt it everywhere), have you changed or drained the fuel filter? I would think this a fuel prob.

Comment

Thanks Dazza, my thoughts, but garage says losing compression?

Comment

Tony vehicle is a 1992 ssr-x. How is the diagnostic pulled?

Comment

try this
            http://www.yotasurf-online.co.uk/pub...ht=diagnostics
            or this
            http://www.yotasurf-online.co.uk/pub...ht=diagnostics
            Did a quick forum search

Comment

Have the garage done a compression test?

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkmaster
                Help Guys! My Surf, started getting difficult to start, had to be turned over twice. Last Saturday noticed black smoke from exhaust, and car just rolled to a gentle stop. T&Ps all good, no overheating, fueled up, turns over but just wont start and if it does soon stops if no gas applied. Garage trying to tell me head gasket probs, but done in April, anyway symptons not as you would expect for gasket. Any takers?
                If you want a SURF MECHANIC to look at it let me know STEVO is in stockport,
                He will look at it for you. HEAD GASKETS never seem to go on the 2.4 Engine
                Last edited by marky; 23 September 2004, 09:42.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
                  If you want a SURF MECHANIC to look at it let me know STEVO is in stockport,
                  He will look at it for you. HEAD GASKETS never seem to go on the 2.4 Engine

if you look on the 'hilux surfing' website there are links to translated jap recall papers related to the 2.4td's made 1991-1993 stating the head gasket is inferior caused overheatin and head damage - i assume most jap owners will have had this done? woder ifi this is why there are few gasket failures here?

confused slightly (only having owned for a couple of months!)
                  still grinning

take care

Chris

Comment

Dont believe everything that you read. HEAD crack across Valves. Head gaskets never seem to go.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                    (")_(")

Comment

Working...
                    X