Diagnosing turbo issues help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diagnosing turbo issues help needed

My 2nd gen has an issue when driving, I think it's something to do with the turbo but my wife thinks it's manifold or exhaust related.
    When we're driving, everything is fine under 1800 rpm, as you accelerate and put your foot down though, there's a noise that I can only describe as some sort of growling ( can be heard inside and outside the car ). The sound continues until the rpm climbs to the next gear change ( it's an auto ), then disappears altogether, this continues until it's in top gear, then at 55 or 60 mph ( or anything above 60 ) it's there constantly but not as loud.
    My wife thinks there might be a crack in the exhaust manifold / exhaust itself or an air leak somewhere. I've looked for any signs but there aren't any, all pipes and hoses are as they should be and no sign of any cracks or corrosion on the manifold or exhaust.
    I think it might be the turbo on its way out.
    Is there any surefire way of checking for turbo issues?
    When driving, the noise is coming from under the bonnet, directly in front of the driver ( which is what makes me think it's the turbo ).
    It's a 2.4TD by the way

Bump - anyone?

Comment

check the intake hoses are not split especially air filter to turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by tweak'e View Post
        check the intake hoses are not split especially air filter to turbo.
        Will do,

Thanks

Comment

Did you solve it?

Comment

Think so, well nearly.
            My wife said it sounded more like the exhaust, so we had a discussion about it as you do, lol.
            Think she was right though.
            There's some corrosion on the down pipe just under the first flexi part, thought it was just surface rust but on closer inspection the rust has turned into a split, tried putting some exhaust fire gum on it and it made a difference, the sound reduced somewhat and there was a little more power ( just a little, it is a 2.4 after all, lol ). Roughtrax do new manifold to centre section replacement pipes so I'm going to get one and put it on.
            I thought it was the turbo due to the noise starting when the turbo kicked in, but that's the same time the revs are climbing ready to change gear as well.

just haven't done anything with it as I've been busy trying to get the other cars sorted, then it rained and rained and rained, actually saw dry concrete yesterday, almost forgot what looked like dry

Comment

Talking of other cars...hows the Charger?

Comment

In bits, lol.
                Nearly done though, just waiting for dry weather. Steering needs to go back on and all brake pipes replacing, new master cylinder and discs, then MOT, next job is a couple of repair panels on the lower rear quarters. Working down the list slowly, lol

Comment

Working...
                X