Air con removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air con removal

I'm toying with the idea of removing the air con from the red beastie. As I never use it, it's just extra weight, extra load on the engine, and makes access to the under side of the engine harder. Plus, go through any mud, and the fans get caked in the stuff, and makes them useless. Just more to clean...

Has anyone else done this, or got any advice/ideas, before I give her some surgery?

Cheers!
    I'd rather be scared to death than bored to death

TonyN has a grinder
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

stick an ad on ebay, no doubt someone will be interested, they may even come and remove it for you. You could have probs if you ever come to sell the surf though. you'd have to sell at a big discount as i would think most surf buyers would want to buy a surf with aircon.
      Last edited by stara; 21 September 2004, 19:26.
      [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

I've done it for exactly the same reasons that you give. I removed the rad and the engine bay pipe work (including the tank behind the grill) but I left the compressor in place and I know use that as an on board air compressor (together with a receiver which sits in the boot when required). Quite a simple job to do - if you're interested I'll fill in the details.

Removing the rad has had a number of benefits - easier to keep the underside clean, made room for an ES2000 steering damper and allowed the fitting of a decent bash plate (from Rusty).
        Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Originally posted by Gamedawn
          I've done it for exactly the same reasons that you give. I removed the rad and the engine bay pipe work (including the tank behind the grill) but I left the compressor in place and I know use that as an on board air compressor (together with a receiver which sits in the boot when required). Quite a simple job to do - if you're interested I'll fill in the details.

Removing the rad has had a number of benefits - easier to keep the underside clean, made room for an ES2000 steering damper and allowed the fitting of a decent bash plate (from Rusty).
          Yes please, any details would be great.

Plus, like you said, can get to the damper, which needs changing. Would poss remove the compressor though, and look for an alternative method (such as bundabasers has done - air cylinder in the boot)

Comment

I'll take some pics when I get a chance and post them up.
            Roger

Comment

Cheers! Would be a great help!

Comment

Great

some pic's & a write up would be great. I removed my aircon a while ago since it didn't work & put the unit to 1 side for a onboard air setup 1 day.

John

Comment

Pics and brief write up at http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/sho...8630#post68630
                  Roger

Comment

Working...
                  X