dead speedo - any ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dead speedo - any ideas

My speedo just seems to have packed up. No movement - nothing. Other gauges seem to be fine though.

Having read a similar thread about this, I've stripped down the dash and got behind the instrument panel to check for a loose wiring harness. However all the white harnesses seem to be clipped securely in place.

Anyone any ideas where else I could look to trace the fault, or maybe something more specific I should be looking for in the instrument panel? I'm a bit of a novice at this and I've only got as far as I have with the illustrated guides on the Hilux Surfing site!

It's a bit of a bugger, since the Surf ain't going nowhere till I get the dash back in place...

Cheers,
    t

Originally posted by tamper
    My speedo just seems to have packed up. No movement - nothing. Other gauges seem to be fine though.

Having read a similar thread about this, I've stripped down the dash and got behind the instrument panel to check for a loose wiring harness. However all the white harnesses seem to be clipped securely in place.

Anyone any ideas where else I could look to trace the fault, or maybe something more specific I should be looking for in the instrument panel? I'm a bit of a novice at this and I've only got as far as I have with the illustrated guides on the Hilux Surfing site!

It's a bit of a bugger, since the Surf ain't going nowhere till I get the dash back in place...

Cheers,
    t
    I presume you have the elctronic speedo (you can check by looking at the front of it - the electronic one has a small pin that stops the dial from going back further than 0.

If this is the case have a look closely at the rear of the speedo unit, you may be able to see where the (very thin) wires come off the board and connect to the speedo unit itself. One of these may have broken or even broken in the speedo head itself.

They are almost impossible to repair and the only thing is to get a new one from Toyota (£120) or a used one from a scrappy.

You could also check that the contacts for the wiring harnesses are clean as they could be oxidised.

However - it is most likely the speedo unit itself, electronic speedos of that age from Toyota have a bit of a reputation according to my local friendly Toyota dealer.

Cheers

Comment

Yep, it seems to be the electronic one.
      So is the speedo the whole unit with revcounter etc?

Comment

Yep, it seems to be the electronic one.
        So is the speedo the whole unit with revcounter etc?
        No they are separate units. They screw in from the back of the unit through the circuit board.

Cheers

Comment

Cheers Andy,
          Your local friendly Toyota dealer wouldn't be contactable by email would he?
          I'm in France and parts are a bit hard to come by here.

t

Comment

Cheers Andy,
            Your local friendly Toyota dealer wouldn't be contactable by email would he?
            I'm in France and parts are a bit hard to come by here.

t
            Sorry and I doubt they would deliver. I'll be going near them tomorrow though so I'll ask them.

Alternatively you might want to PM HILUX (Bob) or Streetluge Chris as they might have one off a breaker.

Cheers

Comment

Cheers - anything you spot would be interesting.

I'm PMed Bob and Chris so we'll see what happens. I've also just got a quote of £120 for a secondhand unit from 247spares.co.uk, though admittedly this seems to be for the full instrument panel unit.

Comment

Working...
              X