Noisy steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andyverran View Post
    Hopefully you can salvage it...if not I think I have one...
    Brilliant, on the off chance that it's not salvageable, how much would you want for it?

Comment

Originally posted by RebelV8 View Post
      Brilliant, on the off chance that it's not salvageable, how much would you want for it?
      Whatever you think is fair, I'm not to fussed as I only kept it as spares for mine (which may get sold next year anyway).

See if you need it.

Comment

Great, thanks Andy, I'll let you know,

Sorry to hear you might have to sell yours

Comment

Does this help?: http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=60209

Comment

It might very well do, thanks for posting, really useful info

Comment

Originally posted by yorta2 View Post
              Well worth knowing....looks pretty easy too

Comment

It does look really easy, gonna give it a try when I finish putting my Charger back together again, lol

Comment

Fixed it !!!

Replaced the bushes in the idler arm, the old ones were a lot thinner than the new ones. Also a lot of pitting and corrosion on the idler arm pin, cleaned all up with 120 grade sandpaper and polished the pin with Solvol. Greased the pin, fitted the new bushes and packed the housing with grease before installing the pin and rebuilding the idler arm.
                  Returned the idler arm to the to its rightful position, started the engine, turned the steering and...........still the same.
                  Busy swearing to myself and wondering where the noise is coming from when my wife appears to see if it's fixed. She gets under the front and tells me to turn the steering, calling me under with her she pointed to the steering damper and told me to hold it while she turned the steering wheel, the damper felt notch you in its movement and it also felt like it was causing the noise ( I could feel the notchyness in time with the noise ). Bought a new one from RT, it came today and was fitted this afternoon, it's three times the thickness of the old one. The old one is completely fubar and you can't compress it at all when its removed. Think it might be the original one.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Pic of new damper in place.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Good news then...and sounds like the idler rebuild was worth doing anyway.

Comment

Definitely worth rebuilding the idler arm Andy, think that would have been the next thing to go if I hadn't of done it now, really easy as well.

Comment

Working...
                        X