2.4 surf problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Momos View Post
    So set it one tooth advance is that to drivers side or passengers side I really need this going doing my nut in
    remove the front cover housing, take your time and align all the timing marks, align the timing mark on the cam wheel with the mark on the cam casing,align the crank damper mark with the metal pin bolted on the crank case housing or the mark on the crank gear with the mark on the crank case if you can see it. and finally align the pump wheel mark with the mark in the top of the pump crank case. slacken the belt and remove, fit the belt to the crank spindle first then up and around the pump then onto the cam and finally around the adjuster, take up the slack on the adjuster.Turn the engine over by hand a few times and re -align the timing marks and you will find that the timing mark on the pump has moved one tooth over (to the passenger side this is retarded).Removed belt and slip the pump timing mark back two teeth (to the drivers side) now the pump should be set one tooth away from the original timing mark.(This has advanced the pump) adjust the belt again keeping the rest of the timing marks aligned then turn over by hand a few times and the timing mark should of moved again but this time to the correct position.Hope that helps.
    Last edited by surfenstein; 22 May 2015, 21:10.
    www.overfab.uk

Comment

Thank you very much I will try that tonight

Comment

Pouring rain won't get near it tonight but hope it is the pump timing need ma surf back

Comment

I set the pump like you said it seemed to run better and less smoke but now it has a heavy diesel knock any ideas

Comment

Can you rest the pump I read that turn the lights on then disconnect battery for 8 hours and it resets pump or ecu has anyone heard of this

Comment

Yes you can, it's worth a try.

Cheers

Comment

Can you rest the pump I read that turn the lights on then disconnect battery for 8 hours and it resets pump or ecu has anyone heard of this
                when you advanced the pump did you rotate the engine a few times to check that the timing marks were all aligned again. were they aligned or was the pump still one tooth advanced?
                www.overfab.uk

Comment

When we stripped it down all the marks were bang on so we tried it one tooth each way it but it stayed one tooth of but it did run better one tooth towards passengers side I noticed it was drawing air in around inlet manifold not sure how so took it apart put new gasket on will put it back together tomorrow and see

Comment

How does it work buy setting it one tooth out and cranking engine round would it not find it's place when it was running just a bit confused lol

Comment

How does it work buy setting it one tooth out and cranking engine round would it not find it's place when it was running just a bit confused lol
                      lol.ok the pumps are electronically controlled, there is a plate inside the pump that is activated by a solenoid. (Timing Control Valve) or TCV for short. The Ecu measure various inputs from gearbox and engine sensors, and will activate the TCV this in turn will retard or advance the internals of the pump under engine load.It might just be that the TCV is seized and is not operating. sometime when changing the timing belt the pump will slip back one tooth, because the belt was not tensioned properly.Thats why i asked if you had checked and double checked the static timing.
                      Last edited by surfenstein; 22 May 2015, 21:11.
                      www.overfab.uk

Comment

Am going to get a mechanic mate of mine up to check it I will show him the information you have given me and try sort it from there but it did run better one tooth out but sounded like a trActor

Comment

Tried the pump of one tooth it ran better but sounded like a tractor and wouldn't start set the pump back to the mark on top of pulley it seems to start but misses down low and smokes it seems as if it should be set between the mark and one tooth out I am out of ideas pleaeeeeeeeas help

Comment

are you 100% sure that you have not got the cam timing 180 degrees out? one revolution of the crank equals half a revolution of the cam.
                            www.overfab.uk

Comment

The cam timing is at the mark at the bottom the bottom pully is at the mark at the top and pump timing is at the mark at the top not sure how it can be 180 out if there all at the marks

Comment

Is it possible to have all pullys on the marks and still be 180 degrees out

Comment

Working...
                                X