2.4 surf problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.4 surf problem

I have a 2.4 td surf 1993 I bought it with a cracked head alto it was running very good when I got it . So I bought a comets new head and timing belt and water pump fitted all the stuff and now it takes easy start to fire and it misses and fills street with smoke. I checked all pipes and hoses all look ok have no other transport so desperate to get this fixed an ideas would be great .

Sorry to hear...what colour smoke?

I've googled 'comet/s head'...all I get is heads for the Mercury Comet (US car).

Where was the head from?

Cheers

Comment

Sorry was meant to be complete head lol it's white/ blue smoke but when you rev it it seems to clear and puts out black smoke

Comment

White smoke is steam...water or coolant getting into the cylinders .

Did they put a new gasket in too? Where was the head from?

Comment

Yeah brand new head and gasket new heater plugs injectors etc it just misses low down it's maybe not white more blue ish when you rev it it seems to clear then misses again

Comment

Blue smoke can be oil getting into the cylinders and getting burnt...I would take it back to the garage so they can have a look at it. After such an overhaul you shouldn't have all those problems. Where did you buy the head?

Comment

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=81512
              Hope this helps

Guess you did repair

Lots of info.. Have a look at "Search this site" at top of page.

Robert

Comment

Me and my brother did the head the job was easy but something is not right got the head from peer parts am thinking maybe the pump timing is out a tooth

Comment

Its possible, follow the link above and see. Good luck!

Comment

I'll have to strip it back and check timing is a strange one cause thought we got it spot on if it was a tooth out would it rum lumpy and smoke

Comment

Checked timing seems spot on everything else looks good why does it run like a bag of spanners when the whole top end is new am stumped

Comment

White smoke can also be unburnt fuel. Check the 2 timing marks for the injection pump, they could be slightly out. One is where the pump mounts onto the block, behind the timing belt, and the other is the cog/pulley that sticks through, that goes onto the timing belt.

Comment

Ok I'll have a look at that but I agree it defo is over fueling

Comment

White smoke is unburnt fuel, can be caused by coolant in the cylinder bores or low compression. Black smoke is overfuelling. These engines have a secondary glow system its quite possible that you have missed a terminal on the secondary glow system in the inlet manifold, a trick with the pump timing is to set it one tooth advanced, that way it always seems to correct itself , the pumps are electronic so dont forget they will advance and retard themselves electronically.
                            www.overfab.uk

Comment

So set it one tooth advance is that to drivers side or passengers side I really need this going doing my nut in

Comment

Working...
                              X