Track rod and front shock change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Track rod and front shock change

Hi All.... My 92 surf failed the mot on front passenger side shock leaking and the same side track rod end, I had already spotted the leaking shock and had purchased a full second hand set ages ago, if anyone else has changed these parts, what is the best way to go about the job, it all looks fairly straight forward and hoping that if i measure where the original track rod end is possitioned on the thread, and fit the new one in the same possition, I will not have to have the wheels aligned, what do you think??????

thats what i did - measured the distance on the thread and fitted the new TRE to the same distance. You'll need a ball joint separator tool though, i got a normal draper one from the local supplier and it did the trick.

Comment

track rod replacement

Do you have to take any weight off the linkages/rod ends while you do this job?

Comment

Originally posted by JimL
        thats what i did - measured the distance on the thread and fitted the new TRE to the same distance. You'll need a ball joint separator tool though, i got a normal draper one from the local supplier and it did the trick.
        Even easier, when you take off the old track rod end, count the number of turns that you have to make to take it off, then twist on the new one the same number of turns.

Or.

Get some yellow paint, paint around the track rod up along the threads to where the track rod end is screwed on, then unscrewit and screw the new one on so that it goes up the track rod to the paint - or you can even use masking tape.

Cheers

Comment

This is all assuming your tracking is spot on now...
          :

Comment

Originally posted by silvtr1000
            This is all assuming your tracking is spot on now...
            Yeah, which not many are. How are your tyres wearing, I'd be tempted to get it aligned anyway.

No, you can do it with the truck just sitting there.
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

track rod

I think I will do what you have suggested as my tyres were fitted last november and tracked at elite tyres in Essex, and have worn very evenly, I will mark where the old track rod came off and refit the new one in the same possition, any info on changing shock would be of help, I will be oing the shock and tre in the morning if weather permits.

Comment

Working...
              X