Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Losing power..Gearbox over heating??

Hi Guys

Im new to this forum and surf owner. Im planning on doing a pickup conversion on the new surf ive bought. Its a 2.4 diesel.

Im pretty handy with spanners as I spend my days restoring VW's, So i took a chance on a cheap but faulty surf.

Right the problems are as follows.

Number one is the speedo doesnt work, did some reading up and believed it to be a simple fix but could be connected to the second problem?

Problem two is something wrong with the auto gearbox. Driving it around town it was fine with plenty of power. But once I was on the open road going up and down hills the truck started to lose power and barely made it up the last hill before stopping completely and not starting again. After towing it home and leaving it over night it started up and I could drive it around. Although only moved it a short distance.

When under load the green turbo light would go out and the engine check light would come on.

So im sure its not the engine as that seams sweet and more the gearbox over heating. I have done some research and come up the cleaning of some filters and changing the ATF is the best place to start.

All help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Karl

Hi Karl and welcome.
    Is this the truck you want to convert?
    You would be better off buying a 3.0 L, almost as cheap and a lot better than the 2.4.
    Cheers

Comment

Yes i would have been but this is the one I have now and it was cheap! Im pretty sure i can get it sorted for not a huge amount of cash.

Its only going to be used to put my Motocross bike on so will be only using it a few times a month so im not to worried about it not being a 3L

Cheers

Comment

Your on the right track by changing fluid and checking the filter/strainer.You could also fit a stand alone trans oil cooler, this would take a lot of the heat away from the cooling system.fault codes can be pulled from the onboard diagnostics"Under the bonnet on the drivers side, next to the fuse box is a small black box with a flip top lid. This is for diagnostics.

With the ignition off, transmission in P or N, a/c off and throttle fully released, connect the terminals E1 and TE1 with a small piece of wire or a paper clip.

Turn the ignition to on and codes should be displayed on the instrument cluster with the little check engine light.

To clear any codes either disconnect the battery or remove the ECD relay for one minute."

Here is the 2LTE fault codes:
        1 - Normal
        2 - Turbo boost pressure sensor
        4 - Coolant temperature sensor
        5 - Correction resistance (Pump)
        6 - Pump speed sensor (Pump)
        7 - Throttle position sensor
        8 - Intake air temperature sensor
        9 - Vehicle speed sensor
        10 - Starter switch
        11 - Switch sign (Vehicle not in P or N or A/C on)
        12 - Timer control valve (Pump)
        13 - Crank position sensor
        www.overfab.uk

Comment

Thanks Surfenstein,

Im planning on checking the codes....only problem is is that the batterys were knackered when I got it so Ive taken them off so this would have cleared the codes by now I guess?

So will have to fit new batterys and take it on a drive to MOT station to to get them to come up again.

Read a few threads about filter cleaning and could do with some advise please.
          There is one on one of the boost lines...near the turbo pressure sensor? Think the original thread was on from an Australian forum.

Also there is a big flat filter in the bottom of the transmission? read another thread saying these dont really get blocked.

Not had any experience with auto gearboxes.

Thanks in advance!

Comment

transmission filter is inside the bottom of the gearbox remove gearbox sump and unbolt filter, clean the gauze and refit. you will need some instant gasket to replace the sump gasket.
            www.overfab.uk

Comment

Cheers buddy!! Will be on all the basics and hope this will sort the problem.

Im not convinced it will as seems quite a serious fault but fingers crossed!!

Originally posted by surfenstein View Post
              transmission filter is inside the bottom of the gearbox remove gearbox sump and unbolt filter, clean the gauze and refit. you will need some instant gasket to replace the sump gasket.

Comment

Working...
              X