Knock in rear differential

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knock in rear differential

Short Version: quick knocking coming from my rear differential. Wheels were locked with ice and I accelerated trying to free them. Any ideas what I destroyed?

Edit: just tried getting a video but the sound wouldn't turn out. I actually couldn't replicate the quick knock either, but when I put it in gear and drive forward every... 2-3 metres or so it clunks... Did I rip teeth off the differential?

Long version: I searched and couldn't find anything similar... So anyway, my last post I asked about batteries because my Hilux had been sitting the last few months in intermittent -40C weather.

Well last night I went to get it with a buddy of mine with his 1 ton dodge diesel and a trailer... We showed up and the area I parked it in had flood with about 30cm of water and subsequently frozen around my rear tires. I popped the batteries in and it fired up easily. I then used an axe to chop as much ice as I could from around the tires. Put it in gear hoping to just break out of the ice and it wouldn't budge. We hooked my buddies truck onto the front bumper (bad idea) and ripped that off pretty easy (he's a little rammy). The truck wouldn't budge at all. So we tried off the back hitch. After 10 good tugs it finally popped out of the ice. It still wouldnt move though. About halfway through tugging I could hear a noise in my rear end. Sounded like a knocking but I thought it might just be my transmission slipping trying to turn the wheels. The truck wouldn't move at all so I figured that the brake drums must be full of ice.

We brought barely any tools so we called it a night, drove the 4 hours back home and I'm back again today with a generator, heat gun, tiger torch and propane. I pulled the wheels and the brake drums and just as I thought the drums were half full of ice. I heated everything up, removed all the ice and slowly pulled forward, then backed up and when I went to go forward again it felt like it didn't engage and the knocking started. I took a risk and hopped out with it in gear and put my ear right up against the differential. The knocking is definitely coming from there. It's a quick-ish knock. Did I completely ruin my rear end? Any ideas?
    Last edited by Monolithic; 31 January 2015, 23:07.

Bust a few teeth off or sheared a half shaft . I take that the prop is turning. You are going to have to pull the half shafts to find out anyway.
    ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Have you got a limited slip diff? Definately sounds like you have stripped a few teeth from either the pinion or crown wheel.
      www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Monolithic View Post
        Short Version: quick knocking coming from my rear differential. Wheels were locked with ice and I accelerated trying to free them. Any ideas what I destroyed?

Edit: just tried getting a video but the sound wouldn't turn out. I actually couldn't replicate the quick knock either, but when I put it in gear and drive forward every... 2-3 metres or so it clunks... Did I rip teeth off the differential?

Long version: I searched and couldn't find anything similar... So anyway, my last post I asked about batteries because my Hilux had been sitting the last few months in intermittent -40C weather.

Well last night I went to get it with a buddy of mine with his 1 ton dodge diesel and a trailer... We showed up and the area I parked it in had flood with about 30cm of water and subsequently frozen around my rear tires. I popped the batteries in and it fired up easily. I then used an axe to chop as much ice as I could from around the tires. Put it in gear hoping to just break out of the ice and it wouldn't budge. We hooked my buddies truck onto the front bumper (bad idea) and ripped that off pretty easy (he's a little rammy). The truck wouldn't budge at all. So we tried off the back hitch. After 10 good tugs it finally popped out of the ice. It still wouldnt move though. About halfway through tugging I could hear a noise in my rear end. Sounded like a knocking but I thought it might just be my transmission slipping trying to turn the wheels. The truck wouldn't move at all so I figured that the brake drums must be full of ice.

We brought barely any tools so we called it a night, drove the 4 hours back home and I'm back again today with a generator, heat gun, tiger torch and propane. I pulled the wheels and the brake drums and just as I thought the drums were half full of ice. I heated everything up, removed all the ice and slowly pulled forward, then backed up and when I went to go forward again it felt like it didn't engage and the knocking started. I took a risk and hopped out with it in gear and put my ear right up against the differential. The knocking is definitely coming from there. It's a quick-ish knock. Did I completely ruin my rear end? Any ideas?
        The internal casting for the carrier where the drive shafts slot in to the diff are prone to fracturing as the casting is very thin.
        Last edited by Yorkshire Devil; 1 February 2015, 09:45.

Comment

Sounds similar to what i had with mine. I ended up putting a new rear diff in - i couldn't quite make out exactly what had gone, but there was a hell of a lot of metal pieces in there when i drained the oil.

Maybe you could drain the oil and see if you have any debris in there.

Good Luck

Comment

Working...
          X