Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• potential trouble with manual box

Dear all,
    is it normal that I can only shift into 1st gear when stationnary. If moving atall it grates into place. If stationnary - all ok.
    Same with reverse.

It seems that 2nd can cope as long as there is any movement atall - so is this the answer - first only if still, 2nd otherwise - or is my new baby a heap of junk!!!
    .......because I can....OK!
    2.4 TD manual 1992 SSR-X

Originally posted by Paul Savage
    Dear all,
    is it normal that I can only shift into 1st gear when stationnary. If moving atall it grates into place. If stationnary - all ok.
    Same with reverse.

It seems that 2nd can cope as long as there is any movement atall - so is this the answer - first only if still, 2nd otherwise - or is my new baby a heap of junk!!!
    This will be found to be the case on most manual vehicles as there is usually no syncromesh on 1st or reverse. You should never really need to select either of these gears when moving.
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Thanks Maurice.

So normal then. PHew - felt a bill coming on!!
      .......because I can....OK!
      2.4 TD manual 1992 SSR-X

Comment

Sorry to be a kill joy but I have a manual surf and it doesn't do that, I would suspect clutch, might just need bleeding, slave cylinder could be on way out or master cylinder, thrust bearing could be giving up or worst case clutch worn.

Comment

Its common on manuals but surfs and 4runners seem to generally suffer more on the 1st gear thing. Lots of people on here have come fwd with the same problem and many also find that 1st jumps out from time to time. I used to have to brake to a dead stop and then slip the stick into 1st or else it would be hard to engage, and that was with new clutch new master cylinder new slave cylinder and new fluid. Its a pain when you want to make a turn and someone waves you on but you're going to slow for 2nd and yet you havent come to a stop.

Now I have an old pickup box and its sweet as the day it was born in shapan

Comment

I can change back to first gear at 20 Km/Hr.All gears are synchro except reverse.

Neville

Comment

Had the same problem on an old range rover, basically a knackered box.

Comment

i have that problem with my 12 speed eaton twin splitter
                nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Working...
                X