Lower control arm bolts stripped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower control arm bolts stripped

I took my hilux in for an alignment after I did the tierods and put new tires on, to a shop that I trust and the guy told me it was way out of alignment. He wasn't able to get it perfect, but said it shouldn't wear. He had to tighten the sleeve of the tie rod on the passenger side all the way in to get it as close as he did.

I spoke with him and asked him what I can do to fix the situation and he said that two bolts used for adjustment on the driver side lower control arm are stripped and that they need to be replaced. He said once that is done it should be able to be aligned properly. He also recommended replacing the two other bolts on the lower control arm because they could be bad as well.

English is his second language so something may have been lost in translation, but does this sound right? I tried googling similar problems and got nothing really.

Cheers,
    Ian

Sorry to bump this, but anything at all? Should I just go ahead and plan to install a new lower controp arm? Renting shop space to do some other work on Tuesday so trying to plan as much as I can.

Comment

don't supose you have a pic of the bit? as I'm a bit confused...(insert witty remark here).

Does he mean the bolts for the lower wishbone that adjust camber and to a degree effect tracking?

Comment

Originally posted by andyverran View Post
        don't supose you have a pic of the bit? as I'm a bit confused...(insert witty remark here).

Does he mean the bolts for the lower wishbone that adjust camber and to a degree effect tracking?
        Sorry for the very late reply to this (only over a year... Oops). A lot of stuff happened and the hilux has just been sitting .

I do believe this is what he means. I spoke with toyota about and all they will do is sell me a toyota genuine lower control arm for $800!

Comment

The only bolts in the lower control arm are the camber adjustment bolts. Part numbers are -

Toyota 48190-35020 BOLT
          Toyota 48198-35010 WASHER
          Toyota 90179-16013 NUT

This includes the nuts and washers. Four of each.

If you need them the try amayama.com

Will be cheaper than Toyota but may take a couple of weeks to get them. I enquired about thes recently and amayama was about AU$80 cheaper than Toyota.

Nev.

Comment

The only bolts in the lower control arm are the camber adjustment bolts.

Look at the inner of the control arm front and back and you will see the bolts and nuts. The bolts are a cam shape to alloy adjustment.

Part numbers are -

Toyota 48190-35020 BOLT
            Toyota 48198-35010 WASHER
            Toyota 90179-16013 NUT

This includes the nuts and washers. Four of each.

Google part numbers for more info.

If you need them the try amayama.com

Will be cheaper than Toyota but may take a couple of weeks to get them. I enquired about thes recently and amayama was about AU$80 cheaper than Toyota.

Nev.

Comment

Working...
            X