4WD - mechanical issue, stuff hanging off drive shaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4WD - mechanical issue, stuff hanging off drive shaft

So, the other day, the old girl started making hideous whining, screeching metal on metal noises, hunting around I couldn't find an immiediate cause and then it stopped, I had thought it had maybe been a stone caught in the disc caliper, as it was that sort of sound, anyway I forgot about it, no noise, no problem right?

Well after that I discovered my 4WD wasn't when I manfully drove into a wet muddy paddock with my manly chunky new tryes....and gracefully came to a wheel spinning halt, leaving it in lo box 1st, I hopped out to confirm, no drive to the front wheels!

TO add insult to injury I was rescued by a nice blonde lass in a nana 4WD with road tyres......the shame!

The 4WD light comes on and I can hear the solenoids clicking but NO 4WD

Anyway, having had a gander on the boards here, I then went for a crawl under truck and found this: This is the inboard end of the near side drive shaft, what I can see is two mangled bits of circular metal hanging out and the whole thing seems to have a lot of centric movement but no sideways movement, when compared to the off side shaft, anyone got any idea's as Haynes has not shed any light on it. This is my daily driver and being a builder, 4WD is kinda essential on some of my jobs, so any help/pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated!

Life is not a dress rehearsal
    1996 3.0 SSR-G 5-speed
    (Auto's are for the indecisive!!)

Cv joints fubarred?

Btw the pics aren't visible on my device?

Maybe visible on the pc?
    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by shokenore View Post
      Maybe visible on the pc?
      Nope...

Comment

They are if you right click and open in a new page/tab

Comment

yep, sorry chaps, was the only way I could get pics on

CV's are in "workable condition, one has a bit of play but that shouldn't stop 4WD working, have had CV's just about to let go and 4WD still worked, as I said, pic is of the drive shaft, just as it comes out of tube from front diff, l/h/s (drivers perspective) anyone got any idea's? Guess I'll just have to pull the pharcan thing apart!
          1996 3.0 SSR-G 5-speed

Comment

looks like the diff is blown, probably the output shaft.

Comment

Originally posted by tweak'e View Post
              looks like the diff is blown, probably the output shaft.
              You were bang on the money....I on't know WHAT happened but closer inspection confirmed the front iff was toast!! Couldn't fin a replacement to match rear iff ratio so ha to replace both with a matched pair, which was a mission to say the least but all goo now! an yes the " " on my keyboar is broken!
              1996 3.0 SSR-G 5-speed

Comment

Working...
              X