Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering box leak - quick fix opinions please

Hi Guys and Girls,

My daily drive just packed up and it's a focus so don't really wanna repair it.

Only thing my gen 1 failed MOT on is steering box leak.

I think I know which 'box to order from Roughtrax, but in the meantime, has anyone used the stop leak products successfully without damaging anything?

If I can get it on the road and await the 'box or seals from Roughtrax this would be more economical than repairing my Fix.Or.Repair.Daily Focus

If you are going to change the box or replace the seals then why not?
    One assumes that the snake oil is designed to cause the seals to soften and swell so the seals in the steering pump swell and go soft as well then their failure has been brought forward but seeing as the having been doing their job for the last twenty years then they haven't done too bad.

Why not when fitting the new box or new seals, you could change the pump seals as well give it a good flush through and should be good for another twenty years

Go for it what the the worst that could happen?

The box fails you lose steering and crash into a bus full of nuns taking orphans to the fair, the bus crashes into a petrol tanker and they are all consumed in a fiery rage
    You get sentenced to life where you become the daily plaything of mister big.

Or you stick the tin of snake oil in and all is fine for a very long time.
    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by shokenore View Post
      If you are going to change the box or replace the seals then why not?
      One assumes that the snake oil is designed to cause the seals to soften and swell so the seals in the steering pump swell and go soft as well then their failure has been brought forward but seeing as the having been doing their job for the last twenty years then they haven't done too bad.

Why not when fitting the new box or new seals, you could change the pump seals as well give it a good flush through and should be good for another twenty years

Go for it what the the worst that could happen?

The box fails you lose steering and crash into a bus full of nuns taking orphans to the fair, the bus crashes into a petrol tanker and they are all consumed in a fiery rage
      You get sentenced to life where you become the daily plaything of mister big.

Or you stick the tin of snake oil in and all is fine for a very long time.
      Someone been watching the due hard movies? Lol. Good point, I'll give it a whirl!

Comment

Working...
      X