Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compatibility between 2.4, 2.8 & 3gen

Hi All

My hitherto trusty 2nd Gen has probably reached the end of her economical life. I'm thinking about keeping her as a donor vehicle for a new (to me) surf. She has some useful good working parts: New exhaust, recaro seats, air con (upgraded from R12 and working fine) etc etc.

I've always found the 2.4 a little lacking in grunt, especially on motorways. I'm thinking about going for a 2.8 2nd Gen or a 3rd Gen. Question is: how useful would my current surf be as a "donor vehicle" for parts if I changed to a slightly different model ?

It could easily be that (for example) the seats won't go from a 2nd Gen to a 3rd Gen but probably would go between a 2.4 and 2.8 2nd Gen. But what about other parts such as alternator, exhaust, fuel pump, tow bar, radiator, window motors and the like ?

Obviously the safe option is to go for another 2.4 of the same vintage....but I'd quite like a bit more grunt. Also if I went for a 3rd Gen I'd probably have more choice of lower mileage , better quality vehicles, but less chance of easy compatibility...

Does anyone have any thoughts on this ?

Buy a 3rd gen and break the 2.4, there's always someone
    looking for bits on here.
    Still on a mission.

Comment

they are all past their economic life !
      whats wrong with your 2nd gen?

parts are all interchangeable between the n130. the 185 its somewhat less.

Comment

As far as I have found out getting parts for my 3rd gen there is very little that will swap from a 2nd gen to a 3rd gen unless you have the 3.0 engine, which you don't
        Go for a 3rd gen it's a much better drive and has far more go than a 2.4.
        The couple of 2nd gens I test drove felt very slow to me ( coming from an Alfa. Romeo 155) my truck still surprises me now when I boot it.

There are also much fewer hair dresser comments around now as well, maybe all the 3rd gen haters have had to upgrade now!
        Last edited by Dobbslc; 3 August 2014, 09:18.

Comment

Working...
        X