good mechanic/viscous fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• good mechanic/viscous fan

Where can I find a mechanic who knows about Surfs in the Central Scotland area. Also, is the viscous fan the white one in front of the radiator - if it is, then mine spins quite freely after journey of 240 miles - I need it sorted don't I? I have been dissappointed after buying a 2.4 recently to read all the problems with overheating/head and I'm thinking about changing it already for a 3.0ltr. I do a lot of towing.
    Last edited by jax; 11 September 2004, 10:00.

Hi Jax,
    Welcome !!!
    Your 2.4 should be ok for towing, wouldn't say that should be a reason for changing to 3L, your fan should move easilly when engine is warm, so after 240 miles it should turn ok by hand. needs to be checked when engine is cold first.

There is'nt any good Surf mechanics up here, sorry !!!
    But if you need any advice, feel free to give me a call, i'll help all i can.

Viscous fan, there are several post regarding the fan, ie, when it turns, how it turns, how to service it etc etc, just do a search for Viscous Fan.

One last word on mechanics, they all know about Surf's, or they do until something goes wrong with what they have repaired or supposedly repaired, then its something like :
    " Well mate its a grey import you know"
    " Not seen one before"
    " Toyota don't do parts for them"
    " Do you have a workshop manual "

This is after he has said "Surf no problem", & repaired it & taken you money.

So as i say give me a call if you need any help.
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][COLOR=Magenta][SIZE=2][B]SEWERAT BOB[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=SeaGreen][I][COLOR=Lime][B]I just sit here & looks out to sea or if i'm really rushed then i just sits here & continues to look out to sea[/B][/COLOR][/I][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Hi, thanks for advice Sewerat. I can turn the viscous fan by hand when the engine is cold but it doesn't spin freely or anything - does it need repairing? I have been reading conflicting views on this and now I'm totally confused!

Comment

Jax,
        Here is a posting by Nifty Nev ( he's in New Zealand ) the wonders of the Web
        Which explains the viscous fan pretty good.

Engine cold - Fan should be fairly hard to turn.If you give it a flick it should only turn one or two blades.This is because the fluid is cold and has a higher viscosity.

Engine warm - Fan will be easier to turn.Give it a flick and it should spin more freely.The amount of turn can vary quite a bit depending on temperature and from vehicle to vehicle.This is because the fluid is getting hotter and has a lower viscosity.

Engine hot.The fan will still spin a small amount if temperature is not high enough for the heat of the fluid to act on the metal spring which is also in the clutch mechanism of the fan.As this is heated it causes the fan to lock and therefore spin at engine speed to aid cooling.

The engine temperature at idle is usually not high enough to lock the fan and therefore you can't determine if the fan is operating correctly this way.Mine rarely locks and when it does it is usually under load and I can hear it from inside the vehicle.When this happens it is only operating at full speed for a few seconds at a time.The fluid inside the fan gets thinner as it heats up and certainly does not solidify.

Sewerat Says

Lastly, pour yourselve a dram, put your feet up on the desk near the PC.
        Go to the search engine put in VISCOUS FAN
        read all the postings, then you'll hopefully understand how it works etc etc.

Oh & if you still got time do what i do ( see my signature )
        [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][COLOR=Magenta][SIZE=2][B]SEWERAT BOB[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=SeaGreen][I][COLOR=Lime][B]I just sit here & looks out to sea or if i'm really rushed then i just sits here & continues to look out to sea[/B][/COLOR][/I][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Thanks again. Think my viscous fan is OK. Sounds like a good idea to hae a dram - can't see the sea from here but maybe after a few drinks............

Comment

jax

Hi I.m the guy quoted above,I'm in Australia NOT New Zealand.

Anyway back to the subject.

I have been told by others that the fluid in the fan solidifies as it gets hot.This is the opposite to what I have heard before.The explanation I gave above is what happens when I test mine and it is working perfectly.Hard to turn when cold.Easier when hot.Never locks at idle and can hear from in vehicle when it does.

Neville

Comment

Ops !!!!
              Sorry NeV

Comment

Hi Nev from Australia. My fan sounds like it's doing exactly what yours is doing so I guess I'm a happy bunny. Thanks everyone for helping a non-mechanic!

Comment

Working...
                X