Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATF cooler.

Firstly I am sorry.
    I know it may have been asked before, but, ATF coolers.
    I have a cooler that I want to fit, but have been running through the best location.

I was considering sticking it in front of the radiator.
    Potentially good airflow
    Looks cool
    But it will also be in front of the radiator, the radiator that I want to stop from heating up due to ATF temperature.
    There is also the possibility that during the winter it may actually get too cold and prevent auto box lock up.

So
    Can any of you see any issues with locating it inside the engine bay.
    As I have removed the present air con system and all the pipes and brackets I am left with the two bottom idler bracket holes.
    Assuming I can fab up a bracket to use these existing holes, my thoughts are,
    Shorter ATF hose run.
    Will always have air blown over it, and warm air which could prove beneficial during the winter months.
    Protection from stones etc.
    Thoughts?
    Thank you.
    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Im guessing that you plan on taking the stock cooler out of the equation. If you leave it in you dont need to worry about low temps.
    Im sure transmission lock up temperature is taken from the engine jacket temp, so even if ATF is cold you,ll still lock up when engine warms up.
    I dont think it matters where you mount it as long as you get an airflow over it. I put mine in front of the rad, and favour that position, as regardless of speed the airflow is guaranteed by the viscous fan.
    Сви можемо

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

That was the general idea, but the cooler is too long and too deep to fit where I had envisaged it living.

Back to the drawing board.
      Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by shokenore View Post
        Thanks for the reply.

That was the general idea, but the cooler is too long and too deep to fit where I had envisaged it living.

Back to the drawing board.
        I've ordered one and have decided on it going up against the radiator, I'll post some pics when I get round to fitting it.

The only thought I had was whether it may act a little like a block on the airflow to the rad, or mean that a big section of rad would be getting hot air flowing through it due to the heat off the tranny cooler?

I haven't heard of any issues with regards to that though so hopefully it will be ok
        If I like it, Bushwhacker doesn't. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Benross View Post
          I've ordered one and have decided on it going up against the radiator, I'll post some pics when I get round to fitting it.

The only thought I had was whether it may act a little like a block on the airflow to the rad, or mean that a big section of rad would be getting hot air flowing through it due to the heat off the tranny cooler?

I haven't heard of any issues with regards to that though so hopefully it will be ok
          Dont overanalyse the issue. In front of the rad is just fine. For normal driving in fact not having one is fine. It only really plays its part if you are working both the engine and the auto box hard such as you would do if offroading, or if dragging something heavy around.
          Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by Benross View Post
            Just out of interest, which one did you order?

Comment

Working...
            X