Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd advice

G'day folks

Haven't posted for a while due to a serious case of watching my 2.4 go through various little traumas. These traumas seem to have sorted themselves.

I once owned a Land rover 2.5 petrol that used to be able to sort itself out, it seems that Christine has a sister.
    Had wee problem like rad leak that came and went, and came again. Had huge pressure in coolant, that came and went. Had diesel knock that was present from head replacement, seems to have gone quiet(er), anyway, the coolant system seems a great mystery to me, what does huge pressure mean, then a complete drop to soft pipes?

Who knows. I have given up worrying, if she drives thats all I care about.

Anyway when trawling the site for info on relevant issues I came across some odd gen being handed out.

One said that the viscous fan should be stiff when hot- opposite in my car.
    One said expansion tank level should be high when cold and low when hot- opposite in my car.

Which is true?

I have also some further questions

Why would you get fluctuating pressure in rad hoses?
    Slow(very) braking how can I improve this?
    Rhythmic throbbing (ooh errr missus) in lower gears on acceleration (auto)?
    Have non standard alloys fitted, that rattle if kicked or go over bumps, tightened bolts hard but still does it. Alloys are quite offset and the rear hubs are flat type- any suggestions.

This is all basically small stuff, but after a complete nightmare of a year owning this thing its finally beginning to put some miles in and not break.

Thanks again to you all for being a superb community, if a little mad!

cheers Ronnie

sorry if this thread is waffling but had a lot of vino on account of wife not going to have to go to Iraq (RAF) and me passing an exam thingy.

viscous fan should be stiff when hot, it's important you get this sorted asap, as inadequate cooling and the 2.4 head do not mix.

expansion tank would be fuller hot, emptier cold

check wheel nuts are the correct type for the wheels, i.e. some wheels require tapered nuts, some require flat washered nuts, the two are not interchangeable, take a wheel nut out, and look at the hole in the wheel, if it's for a tapered or flat washered nut, it will be obvious.

the rad hoses do seem overly pressurised to the hand, but this is normal, if there was excess pressure, this would open the rad cap seal and vent to the expansion tank. A faulty rad cap can allow pressure to build, then vent it at to low a pressure causing your symptoms

i should be in the pub
    Last edited by stara; 10 September 2004, 20:45.
    [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

Working...
    X